OEM shark fin antenna installed on a squarebody?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TerColHan

Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
Ha anybody tried this yet? I'm upgrading my stereo to include XM radio and instead of the cheesy magnetic antenna that comes with the XM receiver I want to install a shark fin sourced from a factory GM vehicle.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-OEM-BL...m4aed89d879:g:vuAAAOSw9N1VrofA&frcectupt=true

Has anyone tried this already? It looks like it should work, the most dificult thing will be the square access hole needed to mount the antenna to my roof, other than that it's just a matter of routing the cable down to the transmitter in the dash.

SrMousse

Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
You might have to drop your headliner but otherwise, should be an easy install. I'll bet it looks pretty sweet once you are done!

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
The top of the cab has two thicknesses of steel, with a space between them. If you pick the location carefully you should be able to come through the top of the cab and route the wiring through the space and back to the area of the dome light. From there you can drop down one of the rear corner cab pillars, under the kick plate, and up to the dash. Its a long path, but typical of how the factory routed the wiring.

Bruce

TerColHan

Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
My truck came with a factory overhead console so hiding the lead should be no issue. I added the xm the other day using the supplied magnetic antenna stuck bto my cowl for now. Getting ready to respray the roof and hood soon/ I'll wait untill I'm ready to paint before I notch the roof so I can make sure the hole gets painted and well sealed, that will allow me to get a perfect color match on the fin too.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
The harness for the factory marker lamps was run between the two layers. It should be fairly easy to punch through the outer layer and snake the wire down through the pillar.

When I put the lights on my Suburban I used a factory harness and copied the factory install.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twistedgmt400