odd steering wheel movement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

usar17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1985/87
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
TBI350/700r4/NP208
So as I'm coasting straight down the road my steering wheel alignment is good and the vehicle does not pull after right.

When I apply the brakes the steering wheel turns about an eighth counterclockwise. But the vehicle does not pull to the left or the right at all. if I give it heavy acceleration it does the same thing.

Any ideas what's going on here

Last edited:

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
The front axle is "rolling" during braking (because of leaf spring windup), which attempts to compress the fore/aft drag link.

Since the drag link can't expand or contract it feeds back into the steering wheel.

If you were to physically lock down the steering wheel it would actually input a RH steer motion at the knuckle.

This can be fixed with either stiffer front springs or a cross-car drag link setup, or a traction bar.

K

Last edited:

usar17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1985/87
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
TBI350/700r4/NP208
Ahhhh. I just switched the front springs to tuff country ez-rides last winter

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

C10MixMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG10
Engine Size
ZZ4 350
So as I'm coasting straight down the road my steering wheel alignment is good and the vehicle does not pull after right.

When I apply the brakes the steering wheel turns about an eighth counterclockwise. But the vehicle does not pull to the left or the right at all. if I give it heavy acceleration it does the same thing.

Any ideas what's going on here

My jeep does this to some degree also. when i hit the brakes the front dips a little, causing the angle of drag link to flatten a bit. This is bump steer. I believe your steering gear connects to the drivers side steering knuckle,so your drag link is short. A short drag link and a lot of lift causes a lot of bump steer. They do make parts to relocate your steering to attach to the passenger side that will reduce or eliminate bump steer.

Here's a pic of the modified steering on the truggy with a dana 44
You must be registered for see images attach