NV4500 Swap Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yoyocambo

Reaction score
First Name
Cameron
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
Hello! I have a 1991 Blazer with an SM465. I recently picked up an NV4500 out of a '93 3/4 ton. It's got the factory bellhousing with the passenger side external slave cylinder. From the research I've done, it should almost be a direct swap except for hydraulic issues. Here's my question: can I use a pre-bled master/slave combo from a '93 truck to make things easier? It seems like the master cylinder may bolt up where the factory hydraulics are, and I wouldn't have to use any adapters or line extensions to adapt the 465 master to the 4500 slave. Also, would there be any clutch master pushrod issues? I know that Advance Adapters makes a bellhousing compatible with the factory SM465 hydraulics, but they're pretty pricey.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

yoyocambo

Reaction score
First Name
Cameron
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
Oh yeah - and the Blazer in question

Attachments

• blazer.jpg
    blazer.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 65

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'm not positive, but it seems like there are clearance issues if it is a 4x4. I'm planning to put a NV4500 in my 78 K10 and that is what I was told. You are probably going to need an adapter for the transfer case.

yoyocambo

Reaction score
First Name
Cameron
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
The NP241 input has the same 6 bolt round bolt pattern as the nv4500 output, and from the research I've done, the nv4500 and sm465 output shafts have the same stickout. So it should bolt right up, I'll just have to move the cross member back

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Welcome to the site.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
If the 465 has a 32 spline output it will bolt right up. I've done this swap on my 85....twice. Your bellhousing will cause interference between the slave cylinder and the front driveshaft. Your far better off to bite the bullet and just get the AA kit. You can use OEM master cylinder, line and slave cylinder.

I currently have a 93 4500 in mine. I like it but not fond of the useless two lower gears for street use. I am about to rebuild my 94 that has the better ratios. Your 93 should have a fixed shift tower that makes getting the trans in position a PITA due to clearance issues with the floorboard. The later removable ones make installation MUCH easier.

yoyocambo

Reaction score
First Name
Cameron
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
I know that the AA bellhousing is the best way to go, but I'd like to use the factory bellhousing if I can. From all the research I've done, with a 2.5" lift the front driveshaft will clear the slave cylinder. Mine is at 3.5" of lift, and with the right front tire stuffed all the way into the fender, the front driveshaft is still a good ~6" away from the bottom of the sm465 bellhousing. If it doesn't end up clearing, I can just drive without the front shaft for a while and order the AA bellhousing

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84