NV4500 problems finding clutch set that fits

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nujac

Reaction score
First Name
bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
I am installing a NV4500 with advance adaptor bell housing that was said to come out of a 3/4 ton chevy 4x4 truck into my 78 GMC 3/4 ton truck. The shaft size is a little less than 1 1/8" and the pilot shaft is .59, and it is 10 spline. This should indicate that it really came out of a chevy. My problem is I have tried a couple of different chevy clutch sets. Both almost fit but will not slide on the input shaft. I filed the input shaft of any burs or nicks that may prevent them from sliding on.

The clutch may go in about 1/8" . I can take the clutch pressure plate and it will slide on my sm465 transmission. The input shaft of the sm465 is 1/16" less than the stated 1 1/8'. My NV4500 input shaft is almost 1 1/8". The pilot tool is 1/16" less than 1 1/8".

thanks in advance.

nujac

Reaction score
First Name
bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Here is the scoop on this problem. The standard clutch does fit. I had a small bur on the spline that I did not see that caused the clutch not to fit.

I did how ever purchase a clutch that would not fit my SM465 that was machine too small which got me going in the wrong direction. Live and Learn