NV4500 Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jackie

Reaction score
First Name
Jackie
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
I have a early model of the GM NV4500 that I am fixing to install in my 77 K20. I was wondering if there is a way to inspect the synchros before installing it into truck.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I just converted my truck to an early nv4500. Do you know the history of the trans? If it ever had regular gear oil in it the synchros need replaced. I was able to drive the donor truck right before he pulled the trans. I have a second early trans (with the higher 1st gear that I bought from a junk yard and when I got it home the gear oil was wrong so its about to get torn down for a rebuild.

To answer your question, I don't know. I would assume not because the synchros are carbon fiber and you cant really see them without disassembly.

Jackie

Reaction score
First Name
Jackie
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
No I don't know the history of it. It was in the truck when I bought it. I do know when I bought the truck I knew it needed a throw out bearing and clutch linkage was not right. I could get it to change gears but it would grind on almost every shift. Wasn't sure if that was clutch not operating right or the transmission itself. I pulled it and the throw out bearing came out in two parts. Clutch is almost new. I was planning on a rebuild but was just wondering if I could open it up and look to see if they are bad without total disassemble.

Preston Tucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Preston
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
No I don't know the history of it. It was in the truck when I bought it. I do know when I bought the truck I knew it needed a throw out bearing and clutch linkage was not right. I could get it to change gears but it would grind on almost every shift. Wasn't sure if that was clutch not operating right or the transmission itself. I pulled it and the throw out bearing came out in two parts. Clutch is almost new. I was planning on a rebuild but was just wondering if I could open it up and look to see if they are bad without total disassemble.
My advice would be to fix the clutch issue, that sorts out all your issues without having to open her up, plus you have peace at mind knowing that it worked.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The linkage and T.O. bearing doesn't matter. None of that transfers over to the squarebody anyway. After 95 the T.O. bearing is the hydraulic type which you don't want.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84