NP208 case internal help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

midnightblue

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I am installing a slip yoke eliminator from Tom Woods driveshaft. My main shaft has a hole that a (pin/roller ??) sits in that appears to lock the washer? It fits loose in the hole. The cut down main shaft they sent me does not have a hole it. I looked at a breakdown in the service manual and do not see the "pin/roller". So my question is does anyone know how important is this "pin/roller"? I would love to get this back on the road while I have time to work on it. Thoughts?

original main shaft
You must be registered for see images attach

This is during tear down with the pin/roller removed already

new main shaft without the hole

Pin/roller

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I'm curious to know the answer. Did you by chance call Tom Woods?

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
That pin keeps the thrust washer from spinning. If the fixed yoke is secured by a nut, it may not be needed any longer. I would ask the vendor about it for sure

midnightblue

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I'm curious to know the answer. Did you by chance call Tom Woods?
No, I received the shaft Friday night, by the time I switched everything it was Saturday and (good for them) they are closed on the weekends. I will give them a call Monday AM. Since I do not see this pin/roller in the parts diagram and they do not mention it in in the manual, I am going to complete the install so I cab drive the Blazer Monday.
That pin keeps the thrust washer from spinning. If the fixed yoke is secured by a nut, it may not be needed any longer. I would ask the vendor about it for sure
hopefully you are correct :)
thanks for the replies.

midnightblue

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
UPDATE - So I completed the install, took out the transfer case drop and shimmed the rear axle. No more low MPH vibration. Put about 100 miles on it and everything seems great. I e-mailed Tom Woods d/shaft with pictures and questions. They called me today and explained that 1/2 of the main shafts that they do have that pin and the other half do not. They did not want to go as far as to say whether or not its need or not and offered to do mine if I was concerned. I elected to just go without it. Either this winter or next year I will be rebuilding the transmission. I will have a look at the TC at that time to see if that area is wearing/damaged.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Linemanjl