NP205 Speedometer Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mory Rugg

Reaction score
First Name
Mory
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
After some research and investigation, it would appear that I have a driven gear issue. As I separated the speedo cable and took off what I believe is a ratio adapter, they all appear to be in working condition (the cable spins the speedometer and the adapter turns as well). So this leaves the removal of the speedometer drive adapter nut. It's 1-1/8, I've soaked it in some penetrating lube, but it's not budging, any pointers or special tools I should be looking at? I don't have the most expensive tools (duralast) and I've found the wrenches and sockets are not the most accurate in terms of fitment, and do flex some. Some pointers would be helpful, and thanks in advance.

You must be registered for see images attach

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
Although, three years later, I’m at the same point as you. I’ve read about an oring seal in that piece and the gear is plastic but has different amounts of teeth and you basically have to take it apart and go buy a new one then replace not as simple as a buy a new and swap them.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Careful application of heat perhaps?

Beezo79

Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have run into the same issue with my np205. Does that 1-1/8’’ nut actually come out? I would hope that you do not need to remove the entire output housing to switch the the driven gears. Sorry to revive this thread if the question has been answered elsewhere!

mmerlinn

Reaction score
First Name
mmerlinn
Truck Year
1977, 1993, & 1993
Truck Model
Ranger, Aerostar, & Aerostar
Engine Size
460, 181, & 181
That is NOT a nut. It is part of the speedometer housing. The housing is 1-1/4" long with threads on both ends with the hex near the center.

To get it out you must have a thin wall socket, preferably 6-point. A thick wall socket will not engage the hex enough to get it out.

Worst case is hammer and chisel, vice grips, or big pliers, then buy a replacement housing which generally costs about $50 used including shipping.

I have removed hundreds, possibly over a thousand, of these in the last 40 years and never have had to resort to brute force.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garethrowsell