Not sure if I want to do brakes on my own, what's a decent price?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Iamthewalrus

Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Like I said, I'm not sure that I want to do the brakes on my 83 c20 ony my own. Also I haven't had the wheels off to take a look yet, but they're making a shitload of noise and i'm kind of preparing for the worst. If I need to do a full pads/calipers/rotors replacement on my front axle, anyone have a ballpark price I may be looking at at a shop?

Arkansas_V8

Proud Redneck
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
I don't know why you wouldn't do them. They are one of the most basic, easiest things to do.

Around here I always see those 59.95 per wheel though.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
I don't know why you wouldn't do them. They are one of the most basic, easiest things to do.

Around here I always see those 59.95 per wheel though.

I'm welling to bet thats for pads only.

@Iamthewalrus

AC Delco Calipers will run between 35-50 per side.
Bosch or Wagner pads will be 15-25 for both sides
Rotors of any brand are 45-60 per side
Drum brake hardware is like 5 bux for the bag and does both rear sides
Brake shoes really vary in price but a decent set can be had for like 30 bux and that does both rear sides.
You may or may not need rear drums and those like 75 per side.

A few other things to consider:

Condition of rear brake cylinders.
Condition of rubber lines.
Condition of metal lines.
Age/performance of master cylinder

Since you are opening up the system to do the front calipers I would suggest getting new rubber lines and new wheel cylinders as well. I would also suggest doing it yourself because a brake overhaul will not be cheap from a shop. If you were just changing pads, rotors and shoes then a visual inspection of all the other components would be ok.

Oh, you will also need new fluid and either a second person to help you bleed the brakes or some bleeding device.

Iamthewalrus

Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Maybe I'll just do them myself then. I had a coworker telling me I might should just take them cause I'm new to this, but maybe he was talking about the drums. I guess discs are pretty easy to do even if it's everything?

How hard is it to convert the back axle to disc as well? I'd like to not have to mess with drum at all.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
Someone with a bit more knowledge than me will have to answer that question for you. I know the 4wd required pressing in studs if you wanted to swap calipers. Not sure if the 2wd setup is just unbolt and pull off.

Do some reading, ask some questions, do more reading, watch some youtube videos then ask some questions. You will gain way more by learning how to do it than by dropping it off and paying someone.

Disc brake swaps can be done, but first focus on getting the system stopping well. Drum brakes work just fine for most applications and are easy to work on once you get over the intimidation of the layout. I felt the same way about drums and I'm glad I never swapped out to disc because I sold the vehicle and never got the long term reward haha. I would swap drums for disc in a high performance application, though.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I hear horror stories of people paying $600-$900 for brakes. I say WTF? Yeah I went to this place that was $59.95 per axle. That's just cheap pads replacement. I needed rotors, calipers,..... Now add the fact it's 3/4 ton not a 1/2, and that it's a 4x4 not a 2wd.

Look at the cost differences at even discount auto parts stores for parts from 1/2 to 3/4 ton. I'm afraid you'd get it broke off in your ass if you took it somewhere to have them done. Probably worthy to learn how to do it yourself.

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Watch a couple of DIYs on doing brakes on older vehicles. Then decide if you want to do them yourself. IMO, brakes are easy but it all goes back to your own confidence.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Yours is a C-truck so the fronts are a piece of cake. The rears are an excessive pain if you don’t spring for the right tools to do it with (punny), but it can still be done with a lot of swearing just using regular pliers.

82Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
6.2L
If you want good quality brakes go with Wagner.

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk

Iamthewalrus

Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Yeah so someone told me I oughtta take it somewhere to make sure it’s done right since I’m really learning all this for the first time and kind of scared me off. But I’m in the middle of doing them myself right now and glad I did. Buying lots of tools I’ll use a lot. Learning that it’s not that hard. Honestly I feel like I’m learning that about most things on the truck. Just doing it the first time makes it so much easier the next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Front brake pads are very straightforward and quick if you don't have to swap rotors. The only unusual tools you need are a large C-clamp to compress the brake piston and allow space for the new pads and an allen wrench that fits the caliper bolts. However, scraping noises often indicates that pads are digging into the rotors, so you might also need to replace rotors. This is also straightforward, but a little more work.

Is your C20 rear axle a FF where the axle hub projects out? On a FF axle you have to pull the axles to get the rear brake drums off, so its a lot more work and parts.

Bruce

Dysco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I would recommend that you attempt to do the brakes yourself, especially the fronts. They are fairly straight forward, and disk brakes are pretty similar be it a truck, car, motorcycle. Lines, caliper, pads, rotor. All held together by a few bolts and clips. Once you do it, you will then probably do it on your other vehicles, saving money as you go. My first brake job was on my 2001, but then I did it on my car (2x), my wife's car, and now a couple of buddies trucks. It really is one of those things that gives you confidence that you can now work on other parts of the truck if you are new at this stuff.

Kim Burke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kim
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
Where's the noise? I wouldn't mess with the rears if the brake fluid isn't low. Rear shoes will out last front discs x 2-3 sets.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
If you want good quality brakes go with Wagner.

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk
After speaking with a tech guy at Wagner, I installed their #MX52 semi-metallic pads on the front of my 82 C10 a couple years ago. He said semi-metallics would be my best bet for stopping power with manual brakes. I'm very happy with how well they work compared to whatever pads the previous owner had installed. Even my wife said the brakes are OK (that's a compliment!) even though they're not power. RockAuto.com price is $17.00. (Brake pads and shoes are always sold "per axle".)

FWIW, I have also used Wagner's ceramic (non-metallic) ThermoQuiet pads on several daily drivers over the years. They always work as well or better than $50-$70 OEM pads.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128