No spark after shutdown

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justin Smith

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
4.3l V6
First off thanks for taking the time to help out a new member. So short story long I bought a 1986 sierra 4.3l V6 when I was 16 (almost 12 years ago). It was my first vehicle. My dads old chevy bit the dust, and I gave him my pickup and moved on. He has since passed, and I thought it would be cool to get my old truck up and running again. It hasn't been on the road in 6 years. Installed an all new ignition system. (Distributor, cap, rotor, coil, module, plug wires and plugs. Finally got it cranking up, new tires, all the minor problems fixed. Took it to get inspected, and the very next time I cranked it up after a passed inspection, my battery light flashed on my dash and the truck just died on the road. Tried to jump it but nothing worked. No indication of power at all when I turn the key to the on position. Traced that to a blown fusible link near the junction on the firewall. Replaced the link and hallelujah the dash lit up when I turned the key. Problem is, now I get no spark from the plugs. Test light shows power to the distributor, also showing power on the red and yellow wires on the core itself. My rotor is turning. But I can't get it to start at all. Any idea what could cause this I feel like it has to be connected in some way. Its no coincidence this happened immediately after my link melted right?

fast68chevy

I am the original fast68chevy
Reaction score
First Name
RANDY
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
module.. this is what they do, they die suddenly and randomly.. heat and age. pretty typical for a HEI module.

if you can i would test the pickup coil across the two wires on it and make sure its not broken, and make sure rotor button is not worn down badly and has good contact with the rotor center tab.
replace the module and make sure you use the actual white paste heat sink compound for computer processors etc. and not dielectric grease. try to get a good module and not a cheap china one. ac delco professional series parts are not the good ones

Justin Smith

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
4.3l V6
If anyone comes across this later looking for answers, Blackbeard and Fast68 were correct. Replaced the ignition module inside the distributor, and the truck fired right up. Not sure what caused the fusible link to melt or any of the weird electrical stuff, but I'm up and running and ready to go again. Thank you for your replies!

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
If anyone comes across this later looking for answers, Blackbeard and Fast68 were correct. Replaced the ignition module inside the distributor, and the truck fired right up. Not sure what caused the fusible link to melt or any of the weird electrical stuff, but I'm up and running and ready to go again. Thank you for your replies!
Congrats on a simple fix! I had that module croak on me in a pontiac 6000 while blasting down the interstate passing lane at 80mph... NO FUN trying to dodge cars and dive to the right shoulder while losing speed with no power steering or anything....

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
It would be wise to get another module and keep in the glove box for times when you need one. I have an extra one myself. Hope I never need it but if I do, I have one.

You can have them tested. I had some tested at Oreilly's.

Blackbeard44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.0 LS
those damn ignition modules have pissed me off quite a few times, I always carried 2 spares, I drove alot between Montana and Washington, and parts store could be 200 miles away sometimes. if I used one up I could still carry on and not worry and get one when I came into a city with a parts store.

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
I put a china HEI dist in 2017.Lasted almost 2 years and pickup coil went out. Got another one and module went out 1 week later. Installed AC Delco module and pickup coil. So far has been working very well.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
I've never known a off-brand module WAF. I use the GM modules. Costs more but fewer headaches. I recently replaced the one in my square. It had lasted over 35 years. I too, always carry a spare.

Justin Smith

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
4.3l V6
Congrats on a simple fix! I had that module croak on me in a pontiac 6000 while blasting down the interstate passing lane at 80mph... NO FUN trying to dodge cars and dive to the right shoulder while losing speed with no power steering or anything....
I was luckily only about a mile from home out in the country, but I was running about 65 when mine died. It was no fun at all trying to pull over as your just coasting along with no steering. Sorry you went through it, but glad I'm not alone here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL