No headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bill-W

Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
My headlights dont work but I can make them come on when I power them directly. I checked the dimmer switch and there isnt any power getting to it. Does the power come from the fuse panel to the dimmer switch to the headlight or from the headlight switch to the dimmer switch? What is the best way to determine where the problem is?

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Is this one of them furds?

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I think it goes battery-> fuse-> headlight switch-> dimmer switch-> lights.... it’s going to depend on year also. There is a thread on here somewhere that has a ton of wiring schematics that could tell you for sure

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
I assume both high beam/low beam are out? Does the indicator for the high beam come on?

Power for the headlights comes from a heavy red wire protected by a fusible link. I don’t have a manual here, so I don’t know if anything else is protected by the fuse link. From there, it goes to the headlight switch. The headlight circuit is protected by a internal circuit breaker. Power comes out of the headlight switch on a light blue or yellow wire to the dimmer switch. From the dimmer switch power comes out on the light green (high beam) or light brown or tan (low beam).

if the high beam indicator on the dash works, you know you have power at least to the dimmer switch. That means the problem is most likely underhood. Start by checking for power at the dimmer switch on all 3 wires, they are arranged like this -_- . The lower middle terminal is going to be yellow or light blue and should have power anytime the lights are on. The other 2 will show power depending on low or high beam selected.

Hope that helps.

Bill-W

Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Thank you very much for your help. I found the problem this afternoon. It was the headlight switch.

Thanks, Bill

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8