No guages, all electrical bypassed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmac81

Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Bought an 86 K10 as a starter pickup for my teen. With the idea that when he moves on to something else I’ll keep it and either restore or daily drive it. Obviously it’s not the stock engine and when they did the swap out they did what their knowledge allowed and made **** work. So the headlights are just direct wired to toggle switches in the dash, and none of the guages work. Any help on where to look for knowledge/parts that would begin to fix this issue would be greatly appreciated. I would like to work on this with my son and not just go hire a mechanic. We have about 8 months before he will get his permit. Thanks in advance.

Tank6x2

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kurt
Truck Year
79/86
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
350, TH400.4:10 gears 2WD
Go to the auto wrecker bring a wagon, make a day of it and enjoy the Saturday, lot of good information in here, quite sure someone has a post about gauges

WP29P4A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
I would start by purchasing a colored wiring diagram and if you don't already have a test light, I would get one. Summit racing has one for $16.00 that lights red for positive voltage and green for negative voltage. It also has a display that shows volts. First thing I would do is check grounds to make sure they are all connected and free of paint and rust. Next I would visually inspect as much of the wiring as you can, looking for electrical that looks like it was done by someone that shouldn't be doing wiring.

Attachments

• 20220126_153750.jpg
    20220126_153750.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 49

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I’ll work on a list of first things you should check, but it will take me a day or two.

Don’t get discouraged up front. It’s very likely that a couple of ground wires and maybe a fusible link will probably fix 80-90% of the electrical issues, and then the truck will run somewhat normally. After that you will need to start checking the remaining items in more detail to get them working.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg