Newer 14bolt shock mounts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TubeTruck

I'm from Boston. Deal with it.
Reaction score
First Name
Denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
LQ9
I'm looking to install a newer 14 bolt into my Suburban. I like the 3" wider aspect and that it comes with factory disc brakes. I'm all set to relocate the spring perches but I'm wondering what you guys have done with remounting the shocks. Top of the tube? Factory stagger? What brackets did you use? For now I'll be keeping the stock shocks and will upgrade to a Bilstein when I lift it.

TubeTruck

Reaction score
First Name
Denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
LQ9

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
Will this be an 8 lug axle since 2500?
Are your wheels large enough to clear the disk brakes?
I bought an axle swap kit which has the u bolts, perches and shock hangers.
It came from barnes 4wd.
Have you also checked the e brake and brake lines on the new axle?

Last edited:

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
You might want to do a little further research before you buy that diff...
I believe the bolt pattern is different than our trucks, I'm not sure. Also need late model rims with a DEEEP offset and as Rory mentioned above, wheels need to clearance the brakes.

TubeTruck

Reaction score
First Name
Denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
LQ9
Will this be an 8 lug axle since 2500?
Are your wheels large enough to clear the disk brakes?
I bought an axle swap kit which has the u bolts, perches and shock hangers.
It came from barnes 4wd.
Have you also checked the e brake and brake lines on the new axle?

Yes, it is 8 lug. 2500 is 3/4 ton, all 3/4 and 1 ton are 8 lug. Also I don't have wheels yet. In 2002 they had 16" wheels, clearing the brakes is not a problem. As far as the e-brake and lines those are repairable if needed. The brake lines are metric but I planned on running a new rear line so I can flare one end for the proportioning valve and the other to accommodate the new rear line.

You might want to do a little further research before you buy that diff...
I believe the bolt pattern is different than our trucks, I'm not sure. Also need late model rims with a DEEEP offset and as Rory mentioned above, wheels need to clearance the brakes.

The bolt pattern on Chevy 8 lug is 8x6.5 up until about 2011, then they went to 8x160. Dodge still uses 8x6.5 and Ford was 8x6.5 until 1999(?) when they went to the new body style and they are 8x170. As far as the offset goes the GM factory wheels in 2002 were 16x6.5 with a 28mm offset. Squarebody wheels are 16x8 with a 4" backspace (0 offset) pushing the wheels away from the brakes and since the brakes fit inside the factory 16" wheel clearance shouldn't be an issue. '88 up the axles are 3" wider making each tire 1.5" closer to the edge of the wheel well which I want so the truck doesn't have the staggered tire look.

The rear uses the same ring and pinion as the older 14 bolts and same lockers. The pinion bearing is a little larger and the axles are longer. The spring perches and shock mounts both need to be relocated and I like that it's a factory disc brake. I've heard some good and some bad about the drum to disc conversion kits.

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
Yes, it is 8 lug. 2500 is 3/4 ton, all 3/4 and 1 ton are 8 lug. Also I don't have wheels yet. In 2002 they had 16" wheels, clearing the brakes is not a problem. As far as the e-brake and lines those are repairable if needed. The brake lines are metric but I planned on running a new rear line so I can flare one end for the proportioning valve and the other to accommodate the new rear line.

The bolt pattern on Chevy 8 lug is 8x6.5 up until about 2011, then they went to 8x160. Dodge still uses 8x6.5 and Ford was 8x6.5 until 1999(?) when they went to the new body style and they are 8x170. As far as the offset goes the GM factory wheels in 2002 were 16x6.5 with a 28mm offset. Squarebody wheels are 16x8 with a 4" backspace (0 offset) pushing the wheels away from the brakes and since the brakes fit inside the factory 16" wheel clearance shouldn't be an issue. '88 up the axles are 3" wider making each tire 1.5" closer to the edge of the wheel well which I want so the truck doesn't have the staggered tire look.

The rear uses the same ring and pinion as the older 14 bolts and same lockers. The pinion bearing is a little larger and the axles are longer. The spring perches and shock mounts both need to be relocated and I like that it's a factory disc brake. I've heard some good and some bad about the drum to disc conversion kits.

Actually I have a "light duty" 3/4 ton 6 lug axle from a 94 4x4 pickup. Not very common but is just what I need to keep 6 lugs on my k5.
It's a SF 14 bolt with drum brakes. It allows me to keep 15" wheels as well. Brake lines and e-brake also work with the k5.
It is also wider than stock which matches the width of the original front.

Reason I'm asking about your 2002 disk brake axle is that I'd like to know if it's possible to take the disk brake setup from the axle tube out and swap to replace the drums I have. This way I can have the e brake setup (drum under hat) and disk brakes.
I think it will work but need to find a cheap donor to test.
I will be going to 17" wheels when it comes back from paint so no issue there.

Last edited:

TubeTruck

Reaction score
First Name
Denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
LQ9
Actually I have a "light duty" 3/4 ton 6 lug axle from a 94 4x4 pickup. Not very common but is just what I need to keep 6 lugs on my k5.
It's a SF 14 bolt with drum brakes. It allows me to keep 15" wheels as well. Brake lines and e-brake also work with the k5.
It is also wider than stock which matches the width of the original front.

Reason I'm asking about your 2002 disk brake axle is that I'd like to know if it's possible to take the disk brake setup from the axle tube out and swap to replace the drums I have. This way I can have the e brake setup (drum under hat) and disk brakes.
I think it will work but need to find a cheap donor to test.
I will be going to 17" wheels when it comes back from paint so no issue there.

Now that you mention it I think I have heard of a 6 lug SF 14 bolt, but like you said they are rare, forgot all about them. The axle won't be going in for a while so I can take some measurements if you need. I might anyway just to have them on hand if any questions arise in the future. I have an 8 lug 10 bolt front that I am doing some mods on, rebuilding and painting. Then I still need wheels and tires and everything to mount them in the truck. I do know the lug bolts are metric, 14mmx1.5mm. I'm going to have to drill them out to 9/16 so they match the front.

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
Now that you mention it I think I have heard of a 6 lug SF 14 bolt, but like you said they are rare, forgot all about them. The axle won't be going in for a while so I can take some measurements if you need. I might anyway just to have them on hand if any questions arise in the future. I have an 8 lug 10 bolt front that I am doing some mods on, rebuilding and painting. Then I still need wheels and tires and everything to mount them in the truck. I do know the lug bolts are metric, 14mmx1.5mm. I'm going to have to drill them out to 9/16 so they match the front.

Right, they went to 14 mm with the GMT400 and stayed with them.
If you buy new wheels you may not have to drill them out to 9/16.
My plan is to buy new wheels to accommodate 9/16 (14mm).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MixManSC