Newbie seatbelt question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Juan Cano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Juan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350 Goodwrench Crate
Just got an 1986 c10 Silverado. It has 2 shoulder seatbelts, a little beat up but original, they seem to work (I don't know, haven't crashed).

Are the new replacement seatbelts better? And by that I mean safer? Like the ones sold by Ecklers or LMC or CJ Pony.

Or are they pretty much the same and should just stick with the old ones.

Thanks

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
Being 35 years newer I would venture to say they'll be slightly better in terms of wear/tear but doubt they will be much different as far as tensioning ability.

I will say the new ones do not come with the covers at the base and don't know if the OE covers will fit the new ones.

Juan Cano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Juan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350 Goodwrench Crate
Thank you. I think I will test these better, maybe drive and brake suddenly. The webbing appears in good shape. I have read that some of the replacements don't fit inside the covers at the base and I think that would drive me nuts. Thanks for the advice.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I put replacements in my prior truck ('79 K15) as the originals were thrashed. The fit is a little tight at the base of the seat and the door. Main difference from OEM is there is only one retractor where as the OEM had two. The belts worked fine.

For my '85 I'm going to have the OEM ones re-webbed as mine are charcoal and no one offers that color. It's more, but will look correct when done.

Jawzjeep

Honk if parts fall off
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
I put replacements in my prior truck ('79 K15) as the originals were thrashed. The fit is a little tight at the base of the seat and the door. Main difference from OEM is there is only one retractor where as the OEM had two. The belts worked fine.

For my '85 I'm going to have the OEM ones re-webbed as mine are charcoal and no one offers that color. It's more, but will look correct when done.

Ive dyed fabric in the past, it might be an option for the cloth part of the belt?

FireTruck1984

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
1984 and 1984
Truck Model
High Sierra K1500 350. Sierra Classic C1500 305.
Engine Size
350, 305
You must be registered for see images attach
Being 35 years newer I would venture to say they'll be slightly better in terms of wear/tear but doubt they will be much different as far as tensioning ability.

I will say the new ones do not come with the covers at the base and don't know if the OE covers will fit the new ones.
The better vendors seatbelts have covers on their retractors..
I’ve bought sets from Seatbelts plus and CJ pony parts that are high quality and have covers. Typically you have to color match the covers to your interior.
Color Bond Works great

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I'd give you my unused seatbelts, but I've got to have something to hook a thumb under and pull across my chest, so it looks good when a Cop is passing by.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Ive dyed fabric in the past, it might be an option for the cloth part of the belt?

That would be an option it they weren't 35 years old. I know before I bought my truck it sat for at least 10 years in Central California baking in the sun.

Jawzjeep

Honk if parts fall off
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
That would be an option it they weren't 35 years old. I know before I bought my truck it sat for at least 10 years in Central California baking in the sun.

Ah so the fabric is done then? Yeah that changes things.

Jeff Lewis

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
LMC's work fine but the plastic cover has to be modified to fit over them. The original belts have two coiled springs, new only one. I took a hot knife and cut the plastic covers to fit. It is nice to have new clean belts, and the plastic cover can be cleaned and resprayed with the interrior paint LMC carrys. The new belts would look pretty ****** without the covers.

dsteelejr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
1973, 1980
Truck Model
Cheyenne super C20 camper special, Sierra K25
Engine Size
350, 454
I replaced the original 41 year old seat belts in my ‘80 K25 with new ones from LMC and they work great. They lock up easier than the stock belts. They also feel great. The original belts were stiff, like an overly starched shirt. The new material is soft and pliable. Feels like seatbelts in a newer car. Much more comfortable, which makes my square much enjoyable. IMHO replace the belts. The juice is worth the squeeze.

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
LMC's work fine but the plastic cover has to be modified to fit over them... The new belts would look pretty ****** without the covers.

I was hoping someone had done this. I am in the process of doing my interior and have new LMC belts that, of course, didn't come with covers and really hoped they'd fit.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@Juan Cano,

Many years ago my belts were old, dirty, and stiff to. Not knowing anything about getting new belts I decided to take my old one's out and get a tub of hot soapy water and a scrub brush and just give them a good scrubbing. Once dried I couldn't believe it. They came back supple, clean like new, and stayed that way until the next time they needed cleaning. The nylon will dry rot over time, that's true but if kept clean the fibers will hold their properties for many, many years. In aircraft I don't even know when the replacement time is for belts. Maybe if they became cut or frayed enough to be unsafe? That wouldn't be for very long time.

Take yours out of your truck and wash them. Hot water, maybe some Dawn dish washing liquid for it's dirt removal ability seemingly better than some other liquid soaps. That's what I used. Hey, if it's good enough for baby ducks it ought to be good enough for seat belts. Rinse them well! Hang them up in the sun and it won't take long for them to dry now that's it's warm weather, and I'll bet you'll be surprised at how nice they come back.

Juan Cano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Juan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350 Goodwrench Crate
@Juan Cano,

Many years ago my belts were old, dirty, and stiff to. Not knowing anything about getting new belts I decided to take my old one's out and get a tub of hot soapy water and a scrub brush and just give them a good scrubbing. Once dried I couldn't believe it. They came back supple, clean like new, and stayed that way until the next time they needed cleaning. The nylon will dry rot over time, that's true but if kept clean the fibers will hold their properties for many, many years. In aircraft I don't even know when the replacement time is for belts. Maybe if they became cut or frayed enough to be unsafe? That wouldn't be for very long time.

Take yours out of your truck and wash them. Hot water, maybe some Dawn dish washing liquid for it's dirt removal ability seemingly better than some other liquid soaps. That's what I used. Hey, if it's good enough for baby ducks it ought to be good enough for seat belts. Rinse them well! Hang them up in the sun and it won't take long for them to dry now that's it's warm weather, and I'll bet you'll be surprised at how nice they come back.
I will definitely be trying that soon. Nothing to lose. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes