New to the Square Body Fam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AmmoToad

Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra
Engine Size
What's up all!!! Little about me: My name is Josh and I'm 34. Just hit my 16 year mark in the USAF. I'm stationed at Shaw AFB in South Carolina. Currently deployed.

So I've always been a fan of the square body. My dad had an old Scottsdale when I was a kid and I thought it was the most badass truck I'd ever seen. I recently came across one and scooped it up. It seemed to have the basic things I was looking for. It's a 1987 GMC Sierra 4x4. One of the previous owners did a auto to manual transmission swap and put in an NV4500. The truck needs a lot of work and I'm willing to put the $$ in. Now, I'm no mechanic but I'm also not mechanically declined. I also have plenty of friends that are very mechanically inclined and between us we have everything we need to do the work that I plan on getting done. I picked this truck up right before I left on my deployment so I didn't get much time with it. I'm looking for guidance on what to buy and how I should do this rebuild. I've got a budget of around $15k. Things I know I need to do: Rebuild the motor and tranny. New front and rear axles. New gears. New clutch and all clutch parts. Needs to be re-wired. Lots of Cosmetic stuff. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. I have about 6 1/2 Months before i'll be able to complete any of the work but would like to start ordering parts and getting them sent to my buddies garage. :cheers:

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Welcome and thanks for serving our country! You will find lots of helpfull people here.

AmmoToad

Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra
Engine Size
Thanks George. Grew up up there in WI. Stevens Point. Die hard Cheese head. GO PACK GO!!!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Howdy!

1973c10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Welcome aboard

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
:welcome: from N.E.
You must be registered for see images attach

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Welcome to the forum! :cheers: I'd love to do an NV4500 swap on my dad's truck, I would drive it every day if it had one. I had an 82 GMC a couple years ago that I thought was going to need rewired but it just turned out it needed a lot of ******** wiring ripped out some kid did who didn't know what he was doing. Make your list and just as a heads-up, to keep from getting banned, post pics! (Of your truck, no one gives a **** what you look like lol) And again, welcome to the madness!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84