New to the GM Square Body forum and I have a question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shortwide80

Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
silverado
Engine Size
Gents,

I am about to start a resto on a 77' to 80' shortwide. I have not purchased it yet, but I will. I plan on going from the ground up and I'd like to know about any modern ticks that improve the ride of these trucks. I have done many Chevelles over the years and we figured out how to get them to handle and ride SO much better than they did when they were stock. Likewise, have you guys figured out how to make these trucks ride better than how I remember them back in the day? They were some real "buckin broncos". I gotta believe that there are options out there now that I didn't have in the 80's.

I'd like to do a flip kit on the back and add drop spindels to the front, if that will help ya'll get a picture of where I'm going with the build.

Thanks in advance of your help and I am really amped to find out what my options are.

Thanks Boys.

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
well it doesn't pertain to "ride" but an LS motor would be pretty slick

RedBeard_83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom deluxe
Engine Size
Sbc 350
Welcome from Florida . there are a TON of options for these trucks as far as handling goes. I'm getting ready to lower mine by using drop spindles and drop hangers and shackles.

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
Gents,

I am about to start a resto on a 77' to 80' shortwide. I have not purchased it yet, but I will. I plan on going from the ground up and I'd like to know about any modern ticks that improve the ride of these trucks. I have done many Chevelles over the years and we figured out how to get them to handle and ride SO much better than they did when they were stock. Likewise, have you guys figured out how to make these trucks ride better than how I remember them back in the day? They were some real "buckin broncos". I gotta believe that there are options out there now that I didn't have in the 80's.

I'd like to do a flip kit on the back and add drop spindels to the front, if that will help ya'll get a picture of where I'm going with the build.

Thanks in advance of your help and I am really amped to find out what my options are.

Thanks Boys.

2wd or 4wd? They are dramatically different in terms of suspension architecture and the resulting ride/handling.

Assuming 2wd - the front suspension is very similar to the Chevelle design you are familiar with (maybe just a little beefier).

I drove my '87 as a daily for 30 years and 200k miles. No complaints about ride with cut coils in front and relocated spring hangers in the rear.

In fact, with fuel injection, overdrive trans, power steering/power brakes and air conditioning, it was basically a modern powertrain/chassis wrapped in vintage sheetmetal.

K

shortwide80

Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
silverado
Engine Size
Thanks Gents. This will be 2 wheel drive truck.

I'd like to know exactly what I need to do to this suspension to make it not ride like an old truck. Examples of this would be:

Any spindle and spring recommendations?

How big (or small, I have no idea) should the front sway bar be?

Any ideas about front end geometry that I need to be aware of?

Any input on which companies are know for having superior quality parts compared to companies that are budget-friendly?

Thanks in advance.

Slybeanx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
v6
Thanks Gents. This will be 2 wheel drive truck.

I'd like to know exactly what I need to do to this suspension to make it not ride like an old truck. Examples of this would be:

Any input on which companies are know for having superior quality parts compared to companies that are budget-friendly?

Thanks in advance.

I was looking at western chassis (https://westernchassis.com/1973-87-chevy-gmc-truck-high-performance-front-and-rear-sway-bar-set/) for front and rear sway bars.

I have no idea what makes for the best suspension but id like my truck to not feel like a bloated boat. Ive lowered mine 3-4" front to rear.

gmc2u

Reaction score
First Name
bernie
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
If u are doing a ground up resto/mod how bout an all wheel drive set up? Say Cadillac Escalade 02-06. LS 6.0 in most, air ride suspension on most. Maybe a square body on a modified Escalade chassis? Or add the whole set up to square body frame.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Why does he need an Escalade drivetrain swap to get AWD? I already have AWD with the unconverted NP203 in my ‘75 GMC, and it didn’t cost me anything extra.

Bruce

shortwide80

Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
silverado
Engine Size
Welp,
Those were some interesting ideas and pictures, always appreciated.

I'm gonna try this one again.

Thanks in advance.

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
I second the Western chassis sway bars. Also 2.5" drop spindles and rear hangers/shackles for a nice look that rides exactly as stock. Just use shock relocation brackets in the back and its all good. Done this on a longbed and will do it to every one i have from here on.

shortwide80

Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
silverado
Engine Size
Thanks Jeff!
Do you know if the drop spindles that everyone uses are for a truck or car lug pattern? I'm thinking I'd like to open up the rim/wheel options for cars along with my suspension upgrade.
Thanks.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@shortwide80,

You want it to handle better other than all the other great stuff already outlined, polyurethane the entire suspension front to back, leaf springs and all! I did mine like that using Energy Suspension poly bushings, including torsion bar and all, and it didn't drive like a truck anymore, it drove like a car. The urethane took all the slop out of the suspension. No more leaning and swaying and bouncing or hopping. None of that truck, like you say, a "bloated boat" stuff!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesardelacadena