New to the forum

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JL-76

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I-6
Hello everyone. I am new to this forum, any forum for that matter. I joined this forum because I am starting the rebuild process on my 1976 c/10 custom deluxe long bed. This truck originally belonged to my grandfather, when driving a manual got to hard for him he gave it to my father who drove it for years. I learned to drive in this truck and have many wonderful memories of it. I received this truck after losing my father in 2020 and now I am ready to start rebuilding it. It is in very bad shape and I’m in the planning phase right now. I’m conflicted as to what direction to go with my rebuild keep it original or customize it. Last week I spent a few days at the c10 nationals hoping to find my answers but left more conflicted. My primary issue is the color. The truck is single color willoway green. I didn’t particularly like the color and neither did my father, but I know this color was only made two years and I have only ever seen one truck this color. So I need suggestions, keep it willoway green or change the color? And keep it original or customize it?
I would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.

Attachments

• 97BECC97-0AF0-43A0-A253-FAC8D1FC71E4.jpeg
    97BECC97-0AF0-43A0-A253-FAC8D1FC71E4.jpeg
    175.2 KB · Views: 66

Memaloose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Welcome to the forum Joe!
Personally, I like the green color, the 6 cylinder and the manual transmission, I would keep it original down to th hubcaps myself. Sounds like good memories from it, why be in a rush to change things? As you get older, you may want to change things on it but I've found over the years that an original, well kept older vehicle preserves the history more.
I hope you explore this forum, there's lots of different thoughts and ideas here.

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
:welcome:
My opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it. Years ago my dad had a pea green 77. Hated that color. Ugliest thing I had ever seen. To you point. It is now a very rarely seen color and what I would not give to have it back. :shrug:

85K304SPD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
If you don't like it, don't paint it that color. Its too much work to do, if you aren't going to like it. Your grandfather would understand. Its yours now, make it your own.

Kurnacopia

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Make it your own. If you hate it...change it. It will be beautiful when re done. I went from Brown to white here on my Scottsdale in AZ and have not regretted it at all.

smullen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I6
Congrats on the Truck and starting the build!!! Also, Welcome to the Forum.
I am fairly new here myself, these guys are friendly and very helpful.

If you go to Images.google.com and type in willoway green, you will see a ton of different trucks, most with really nice paint.
I'm not one of those everything has to be 100% original trucks or I hate it types like some (those are OK too, everyone has their own thing), but I do kinda like hints of originality, in the paint job, and interior colors and materials if possible.

I just bought an 82 2WD Long bed that looks about the same condition, maybe worse and starting my journey too. I just dropped 16hundo on two new bedsides as mine were pretty shot.

1 thing I'd recommend. Go over the truck with a fine tooth comb. Make a list of everything wrong, that need fixed, repaired, replaced or painted.
Divide it up into sections
Body
Interior
Suspension
Motor

List everything wrong within each of those, then decide priority and attack. AS you fix them, draw a line though them to mark off your list.
I'd also get a folder or two to keep a stack of receipts for new stuff or money spent on truck and any papers relating too it.

If you ever go to sell or trade it (kinda doubt you will, you'll regret it later), it'll help establishing its value to yourself and the prospective buyer.

Try not to get discouraged or overwhelmed. I'm bad about that as I have no patience and even less money and want everything done now. This has caused me to make some rash descions, that could have came out better if I had waited.

I'm saying my truck project is going to be at least 5 years, because of money, time to work on it and research to learn stuff about it.

Stick around here, learn the forum software and spend a few hours reading and checking out others work or ideas. This place is invaluable to the truck scene.

Again, welcome and good luck.
I look forward to seeing another long bed saved and restored vs parted out.

Kurnacopia

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
I forgot to say ....Welcome from AZ!

smullen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I6
You must be registered for see images attach

Here's one almost the same green, I think it looks nice.
I would have never picked it from the get go on my own, but now that I've seen it on a few things, I dig it. If mine was that color, I think I'd keep it and run with it.

JL-76, I know you said it was a manul, is it 2wd or 4wd? I can't tell by the hubcaps, which may or may not be what came on it. That may also help play into what you do with it.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Hello everyone. I am new to this forum, any forum for that matter. I joined this forum because I am starting the rebuild process on my 1976 c/10 custom deluxe long bed. This truck originally belonged to my grandfather, when driving a manual got to hard for him he gave it to my father who drove it for years. I learned to drive in this truck and have many wonderful memories of it. I received this truck after losing my father in 2020 and now I am ready to start rebuilding it. It is in very bad shape and I’m in the planning phase right now. I’m conflicted as to what direction to go with my rebuild keep it original or customize it. Last week I spent a few days at the c10 nationals hoping to find my answers but left more conflicted. My primary issue is the color. The truck is single color willoway green. I didn’t particularly like the color and neither did my father, but I know this color was only made two years and I have only ever seen one truck this color. So I need suggestions, keep it willoway green or change the color? And keep it original or customize it?
I would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.

Is the interior green too? I had a late 70's Ramcharger that was a 2 tone green AND green interior. It was actually quite unique and I loved it. It also had the quad headlights on it which was VERY rare.

pnwnvrdn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K10
Engine Size
SBC
Welcome..cool that you have all of that family history with it.
As for direction/color/etc., be true to yourself.
It's your pickup now, let you come thru in the direction you take.

Kurnacopia

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
I would have never picked it from the get go on my own, but now that I've seen it on a few things, I dig it. If mine was that color, I think I'd keep it and run with it.

JL-76, I know you said it was a manul, is it 2wd or 4wd? I can't tell by the hubcaps, which may or may not be what came on it. That may also help play into what you do with it.
Its 2wd.

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Welcome from the Texas Panhandle.

JL-76

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I-6
Thank you everyone for the advice. To answer the questions. It is a inline 6, manual trans. It is a 2wd, the original hubcaps are hanging on the wall of my sons room. And yes the interior is also green.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T3rraBeara