New rear bumpstop questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pender1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
1986|2014
Truck Model
K5|1500
Engine Size
5.3L|5.3L
I have a 3" block in the rear, so obviously my bump stop doesn't reach any more. I have 2 questions because of that.

1. Do I need to move my bump stop the same amount as my lift? I don't know if the factory ones were based on not over-flexing the leaf springs or something else.

2. How are you folks lowering them? Adding in a spacer, new longer bump, or...?

Cilver Beast

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I removed my factory bump stops today. Putting in a c notch and axle flip kit. Truck had 2 inch drop shackles already. The c notch came with a bump stop.

Cilver Beast

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
The axle flip should lower it 5 to 6 inches.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Front bump stops are important. Rear ones- not so much.

Unless you like to throw several thousand pounds into the back of your blazer and make it squat all the way down. The stock rear spring packs are pretty hard to get flattened out that much. Unless 1) tons of weight 2) aftermarket really soft springs 3)dukes of hazzard style jumping.

But if you do want to move it down then since you have a 3" block it would need to be moved down 3". Spacer, taller bumpstop... not many people do though.

Do you still have the overload spring on your rear pack?

Pender1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
1986|2014
Truck Model
K5|1500
Engine Size
5.3L|5.3L
Front bump stops are important. Rear ones- not so much.

Unless you like to throw several thousand pounds into the back of your blazer and make it squat all the way down. The stock rear spring packs are pretty hard to get flattened out that much. Unless 1) tons of weight 2) aftermarket really soft springs 3)dukes of hazzard style jumping.

But if you do want to move it down then since you have a 3" block it would need to be moved down 3". Spacer, taller bumpstop... not many people do though.

Do you still have the overload spring on your rear pack?

I've still got the overload spring, though these are the original springs, so I'm sure they aren't quite as stiff as they once were. I'm more planning for stupid decisions yet to be made. One of those things that I'll just feel better if they are there.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
On my last truck, the PO used a 2"x 3" rectangular pipe to lower the bump stop on the rear axle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rumpity_z28