new member with a 78 c20

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

squarebuddy88

Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20 scottsdale camper special
Engine Size
350 v8 4bbl
Hello all, thanks for letting me in. Ive been a squarebody fan since I can remember and have owned a few over the years. I currently own a 78 c20 scottsdale camper special. I want to do a few modifications to this truck and im hoping you guys will be able to help me along the way.

Im from central florida and currently a student at a welding school.

Any questions about my truck or whatever just ask :happy107:
:happy160:
My original goal with this truck was to lower it a few inches to make it easier loading things in the bed like dirtbikes. I also would love some fat tires on all four corners. Ive been researching for months trying to make up my mind of what route to go. For the life of me I cant figure out a good wheel and tire combo thats got a good weight rating and will look good. Im on a pretty small budget right now ive got probably 1300 or so for modifications. I dont think ill be able to do new wheels and tires and do the suspension, but i might be able to swing the suspension with new tires on the "stock" 16inch steel wheels for now. From what i gatether, four inches is as low as i can go in the rear without having to cut the frame for a c notch, which id like to avoid. The easiest route i see is a set of 4 inch drop leafs from western chassis, but they run about 600 per set. I cant really make up my mind of where to go from here. anyways, thats my story for now. if i need to ill make another post specifically about the trucks modifications/plans

Attachments

• Resized_20210614_202036.jpeg
    Resized_20210614_202036.jpeg
    122.3 KB · Views: 97
  • Resized_20210614_201906.jpeg
    Resized_20210614_201906.jpeg
    114.5 KB · Views: 92
  • Resized_20210731_193929.jpeg
    Resized_20210731_193929.jpeg
    181.8 KB · Views: 95
  • Resized_20210822_114347.jpeg
    Resized_20210822_114347.jpeg
    241.7 KB · Views: 99

Ken B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Looks good welcome!
Lots of good sources of Info here.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
Welcome from New Mexico

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Welcome!

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Welcome from the Texas Panhandle.
I've always liked the stance of 3/4 tons the way they came from the factory.
I just use a longer ramp for loading my bikes.

Memaloose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I agree, it looks great the way it is without modifications.

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Welcome to the site.

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
:welcome:

Corvette Ed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eli
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Welcome aboard from East Tennessee. Your stock wheels look great.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Welcome!
If you're really just lowering it for access for loading bikes, etc, I'd leave it alone and spend money fixing it up instead...just me.
If you're wanting the lowered look, front drop spindles = about $300 + misc parts that maybe "should be" replaced at the same time.
You could get a couple/3 inches out of the rear springs and save a little load carrying capability by removing some of the leaves.
Your springs should look similar to this. If you leave (no pun intended) the top 3 or 4 leafs, that will drop it significantly, at least 2".
You must be registered for see images attach

Tires will look goofy if they're "much" smaller in diameter, but re-using your existing rims, you could get a little shorter and fatter tire.
Regardless, nice truck!

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
Hello all, thanks for letting me in. Ive been a squarebody fan since I can remember and have owned a few over the years. I currently own a 78 c20 scottsdale camper special. I want to do a few modifications to this truck and im hoping you guys will be able to help me along the way.

Im from central florida and currently a student at a welding school.

Any questions about my truck or whatever just ask :happy107:
:happy160:
My original goal with this truck was to lower it a few inches to make it easier loading things in the bed like dirtbikes. I also would love some fat tires on all four corners. Ive been researching for months trying to make up my mind of what route to go. For the life of me I cant figure out a good wheel and tire combo thats got a good weight rating and will look good. Im on a pretty small budget right now ive got probably 1300 or so for modifications. I dont think ill be able to do new wheels and tires and do the suspension, but i might be able to swing the suspension with new tires on the "stock" 16inch steel wheels for now. From what i gatether, four inches is as low as i can go in the rear without having to cut the frame for a c notch, which id like to avoid. The easiest route i see is a set of 4 inch drop leafs from western chassis, but they run about 600 per set. I cant really make up my mind of where to go from here. anyways, thats my story for now. if i need to ill make another post specifically about the trucks modifications/plans
You may want to look into 4" lowering shackles for the rear and maybe a 2" drop spring for the front if you're only looking to go a little lower. It would probably level the truck and not get you onto the bump stops.

squarebuddy88

Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 v8 4bbl
Thanks for all the replys guys. Like I said, I cant really decide what to do. I had a lifted k10 before this and got rid of it so I could make a lower easier to load truck. And I do love these trucks, sometimes they do look cool all stock. I think since mine isnt mint condition, and appears stock, it just looks kind of plain. The fat wheels and tires were more for looks, but ive convinced my wife that lowering it just a bit would be practical, or add some ease to the main use for the truck. As far as removing leaves in the pack, im not sure i want to reduce the load capacity that much. And also, ive never heard of four inch drop shackles, but those would have to be super long and id probably have to cut a hole in the bed floor for clearance. I could be open to doing other things to it as well to make it "mine". We shall see i guess. This is my first day as a member so if i am replying wrong here please excuse. I couldnt figure out how to reply to each person individually lol. Ill get the hang of it though.:Angry:

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
And also, ive never heard of four inch drop shackles, but those would have to be super long and id probably have to cut a hole in the bed floor for clearance.
I misspoke, you'd need 2" shackles and 2" hangers for the 4". You are completely correct about the 4" shackle but if you had an F150 it would work!

squarebuddy88

Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 v8 4bbl
does anyone know on the c20s if you do a 2 inch drop shackle on the rear, would the bed need clearanceing? I know you do with the half ton trucks with the 52 inch springs, but this truck has 56 inch springs from the factory.

also

If i was to either keep the suspension stock, or maybe do the reverse level with 2 inch drop in the rear, what tire size should i be looking at if i want to run a 16x10 wheel? I think the ones ive been looking at are -24 offset / 4.5 backspace, theyre the procomp 69 series vintage wheels. I know the half ton guys run 10 inch wide wheels on their lowered trucks, so i dont see why it wouldnt fit on the 3/4 tons if the tire size and backspace/offset is correct. here is a link to the ones im talking about, and if anyone runs something similar on their c20, pictures would be great, thanks!

https://www.procompusa.com/product-...ith-8-on-6-5-bolt-pattern-polished-1069-6182/

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128