New Member in process of OH

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Phil83K10

Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
350 V8
Hi folks,
Coming to you from North Georgia AND Cape Cod!

I am in process of OH my 83 K10 long bed. I replaced the OEM 305 for the basic GM crate engine. since I've got big mud tires on it, it's still a bit sluggish. It also has 2 in. single exhaust pipes on it.
My 1st thught is to go to 2 1/2 in. dual exhaust. Is it worth the extra $$ to add headers too?
Thanks in advance for any advice!

Phil

Attached are some before and almost complete pics.

You must be registered for see images attach

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
:welcome:

Babs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet CUCV
Engine Size
:welcome:

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Welcome from the Texas Panhandle.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
Hi folks,
Coming to you from North Georgia AND Cape Cod!

I am in process of OH my 83 K10 long bed. I replaced the OEM 305 for the basic GM crate engine. since I've got big mud tires on it, it's still a bit sluggish. It also has 2 in. single exhaust pipes on it.
My 1st thught is to go to 2 1/2 in. dual exhaust. Is it worth the extra $$ to add headers too?
Thanks in advance for any advice!

Phil

Attached are some before and almost complete pics.

Nice truck man, Great job.
I like that you kept the original colors, but changed up the pattern.

I can speak from experience, 2 1/2 inch true dual exhaust with a set of glasspacks in a squarebody, is one of the best sounding things ever in my personal opinion. Itd be well worth it to do duals.

As far as headers goes, it depends what kind you get. I have one with long tube headers, and 3 with stock manifolds.
They will add a little horsepower, and if your trying to make it look nice, a set of chrome ones does look really good. But they're almost more headache than they're worth. If you get a nice set that has good reviews, you might get lucky, but usually they hit absolutely everything, you have problems routing exhausts, you burn plug boots, etc. But I mean, that's just my experience with long tubes.
If you get a set of shorty headers, you may avoid all of that. I've been considering getting a set of chrome shorts for my 86 just to clean up the look of the engine bay.
If your looking for a little kick when you punch it, I'd change out carbs and do a good tune up. The stock manifolds will never give you any problems.

86 SCOTTSDALE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Armand
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Welcome from Mass. Truck looks great.

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
Welcome from Austria. Nice truck.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Welcome from Texas nice looking truck.

I vote yes for hedders. I have Lt hedders on 454 with 2.5 true dual exhaust with Flowmasters. Sounds good.

Phil83K10

Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
350 V8
Nice truck man, Great job.
I like that you kept the original colors, but changed up the pattern.

I can speak from experience, 2 1/2 inch true dual exhaust with a set of glasspacks in a squarebody, is one of the best sounding things ever in my personal opinion. Itd be well worth it to do duals.

As far as headers goes, it depends what kind you get. I have one with long tube headers, and 3 with stock manifolds.
They will add a little horsepower, and if your trying to make it look nice, a set of chrome ones does look really good. But they're almost more headache than they're worth. If you get a nice set that has good reviews, you might get lucky, but usually they hit absolutely everything, you have problems routing exhausts, you burn plug boots, etc. But I mean, that's just my experience with long tubes.
If you get a set of shorty headers, you may avoid all of that. I've been considering getting a set of chrome shorts for my 86 just to clean up the look of the engine bay.
If your looking for a little kick when you punch it, I'd change out carbs and do a good tune up. The stock manifolds will never give you any problems.

Thanks so much for your feedback- it's exactly what I was looking for. I have never installed headers before and only have heard some painful stories about doing so. I was hoping to hear that the dual exhaust is more important than headers- so thanks for that. My friend who is working with me on my resto, has a Ford with a 460 + headers+ dual exhaust and suggested I do something similar. With the big tires I've got, my truck is sluggish and was looking for a little more kick, so your suggestions of shorties & dual exhaust does make most sense. I did put in a Demon carb and dumped my 'Rotten-chester' one, so I think I'm ok there? My wallet is getting pretty empty at this point, so I need to put the brakes on a bit here with too many extras. (I've got a '62 Tempest convertible that is also eating $$ as well!)

Phil83K10

Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
350 V8
Welcome from Austria. Nice truck.

Thanks!
I've spent a lot of time in Europe- both work and pleasure. I have a number of cool pics of GM owners in Sweden, and have seen similar trucks all over the continent as well.
From what I have seen of Austria, you live in a beautiful place!

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Headers are worth WAY MORE than they cost. So is header COATING. So are H-pipes...no mo tru duals dude :nono:

You can't beat a connected 2.5 inch exhaust , in most cases, - for guys like us that is definitely the way to go.

I buy FLOWTECH 1.5 inch primary with 2.5 inch outlet headers for my trucks.

Good luck!

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
Thanks so much for your feedback- it's exactly what I was looking for. I have never installed headers before and only have heard some painful stories about doing so. I was hoping to hear that the dual exhaust is more important than headers- so thanks for that. My friend who is working with me on my resto, has a Ford with a 460 + headers+ dual exhaust and suggested I do something similar. With the big tires I've got, my truck is sluggish and was looking for a little more kick, so your suggestions of shorties & dual exhaust does make most sense. I did put in a Demon carb and dumped my 'Rotten-chester' one, so I think I'm ok there? My wallet is getting pretty empty at this point, so I need to put the brakes on a bit here with too many extras. (I've got a '62 Tempest convertible that is also eating $$ as well!)

You're welcome, happy I could help.
I know what you mean about having an empty wallet, having a couple classics will do that, haha. But it's worth it when you end up with a beauty in the end.

A dual exhaust will add a little extra horsepower over the stock GM single. Your choice your muffler will make a bigger difference. The less back pressure the more potential for power, but at a certain point your hearing may hate you, haha. Glasspacks/cherry bombs are a nice middle range, help with power but not too loud.
And if your looking for it the most power and dont mind the few downfalls, headers definatly the way to go. Long tubes are best for that. But if you just want a daily driver, I'd go with either shorties or just stock manifolds like I said, they're easier to work with.
If your looking for bigger power gains than that, I'd suggest going with a bigger cam, maybe new heads, but like you said, that's gonna get pricey quick.
And if your looking to just over come the size of the tires, I'd go with changing the gear ratios front and back. That I'll overcome the sluggishness of trying to move the big tires, but it won't be as good at higher speeds anymore.
There are multiple threads here about gear ratios.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cheify