New Member - 88 Suburban in Arkansas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tj43

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
TJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
Hi everyone. Thanks for having me here.

I just inherited an 88 Suburban 4WD that has been in my family since around 92. My grandfather ran a small, rural airport close to a lake here in AR. This truck was purchased new by a pilot that kept it in his hanger for use when he would fly in to fish. He sold it to my grandfather who used it as a courtesy vehicle at the airport until around 2003. At that point, my Aunt inherited it and it basically sat in her barn. She gave it to me last week.

The truck has 98k miles. The interior is in great shape minus the A/C and radio not working. The body is straight and rust free. However, the paint is badly faded and oxidized. The engine smokes at startup, but then runs and drives fine (I suspect it is valve seals).

My plan is to fix it up, update a few things, and drive it—but not mess with anything that would permanently alter the truck (and I plan to keep any stock parts that I remove). I have already ordered new waistline trim, a 2.5” Skyjacker softride suspension, and some wheels/tires. I plan to polish out the paint as best I can and then add some creature comforts like bluetooth and a backup camera. The truck will then be used for weekend campouts with my boys and mountain bike trips, or just cruising around town. No serious off-roading ever.

I do have a couple questions, if yall dont mind:

1) How do I find the paint codes? It has the spec sheet in the glovebox, but no obvious paint codes (photos included). I just need some touch-up in a few areas. Can anyone decipher the whole thing for me? That would be really cool!

2) How are folks handling things like backup cameras and Bluetooth without cutting up these trucks? I would prefer not to cut the dash for a modern radio.

3) I have discovered LMC truck and they seem to have lots of great parts. Any other places that are good resources for parts on these rigs?

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to learning and contributing where I can.
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• 99FC2DFC-EC6E-4FB0-8D8F-5897CCC536AB.jpeg
    99FC2DFC-EC6E-4FB0-8D8F-5897CCC536AB.jpeg
    177.7 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

Turbo Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dwight
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
388 TBI Stroker
Looks nice! I had a back up cam in my work truck that didn't require any cutting. You can get a camera that has a Bluetooth connection to a regular GPS.

Originalthor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Welcome. Your suburban reminds me of mine. It aswell came from a airport and had barely any miles on it. Looks like a great start for a good camping rig.

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
:welcome:

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Welcome from Ga! Nice truck! I can't decipher the whole thing but GT4 = 3.73 gears, G80 is the GovLoc locker rear end and I believe JB5 is the heavy duty brakes.

I'm fairly certain your color codes are in the last line that starts with WA. I found U8798 is basically just gray but couldn't find which code corresponds with the center stripe.

tj43

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
TJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
Welcome from Ga! Nice truck! I can't decipher the whole thing but GT4 = 3.73 gears, G80 is the GovLoc locker rear end and I believe JB5 is the heavy duty brakes.

I'm fairly certain your color codes are in the last line that starts with WA. I found U8798 is basically just gray but couldn't find which code corresponds with the center stripe.
Thanks for the info. I ran into a similar issue with the center stripe.

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Welcome from the Texas Panhandle.

Corvette Ed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eli
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Welcome to the forum from East Tennessee,congrats on your burb!

Dtrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban R1500
Engine Size
350 cu in
Hi everyone. Thanks for having me here.

I just inherited an 88 Suburban 4WD that has been in my family since around 92. My grandfather ran a small, rural airport close to a lake here in AR. This truck was purchased new by a pilot that kept it in his hanger for use when he would fly in to fish. He sold it to my grandfather who used it as a courtesy vehicle at the airport until around 2003. At that point, my Aunt inherited it and it basically sat in her barn. She gave it to me last week.

The truck has 98k miles. The interior is in great shape minus the A/C and radio not working. The body is straight and rust free. However, the paint is badly faded and oxidized. The engine smokes at startup, but then runs and drives fine (I suspect it is valve seals).

My plan is to fix it up, update a few things, and drive it—but not mess with anything that would permanently alter the truck (and I plan to keep any stock parts that I remove). I have already ordered new waistline trim, a 2.5” Skyjacker softride suspension, and some wheels/tires. I plan to polish out the paint as best I can and then add some creature comforts like bluetooth and a backup camera. The truck will then be used for weekend campouts with my boys and mountain bike trips, or just cruising around town. No serious off-roading ever.

I do have a couple questions, if yall dont mind:

1) How do I find the paint codes? It has the spec sheet in the glovebox, but no obvious paint codes (photos included). I just need some touch-up in a few areas. Can anyone decipher the whole thing for me? That would be really cool!

2) How are folks handling things like backup cameras and Bluetooth without cutting up these trucks? I would prefer not to cut the dash for a modern radio.

3) I have discovered LMC truck and they seem to have lots of great parts. Any other places that are good resources for parts on these rigs?

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to learning and contributing where I can.
Nice burb!!

Dtrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban R1500
Engine Size
350 cu in
Hi Welcome to the suburban square body club! I got a retro sound radio from Jeggs, seems like they had the best price, it is a direct replacement if you old radio, it has blue tooth, works with iPhone , also has USB ports for flash drives and an MP3 port as well, the deluxe model has a satellite radio hook up but you use the mp3 jack which is on the standard model, it fits right in the old cutout and comes with the correct GM wiring harness, it looks like you found the paint code sticker which is on the edge of the driver door, I just had mine repainted with a ford 2020 blue jeans metallic to match the door jams and the interior. I lost the silver stripe but I think the truck looks just as good without it. Good luck with the truck , it’s a keeper and has some sentimental value as well
Dtrain

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey