New K30 CUCV member

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Buck69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
D30 CUCV
Engine Size
6.2 (removed)
Hi all!
I'm located in northern B.C. Have owned '73, '75 and '85 square bodies years ago. Missing their simplicity and toughness, had me keeping an eye open for another for an off the grid adventure build.
It is really tough to find one in this neck of the woods that isn't completely rotted out, chopped up or just plain warn out.
I came across this all original '86 K30 CUCV, less it's 6.2, that has been in storage since 2003. Absolutely had to bring it home with me. Body, frame and running gear are all in remarkable condition. It appears to have a TH400 trans with 208 transfer case and 4.56 axels. Will know more once my shop clears out a bit and I have the room to get at it.
Hoping for some feedback from others familiar with this or similar set ups.

Attachments

• IMG_6655 (2).JPG
    IMG_6655 (2).JPG
    195.3 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_6656 (2).JPG
    IMG_6656 (2).JPG
    178.5 KB · Views: 84

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Welcome from the Texas Panhandle.

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
Welcome from Austria. Nice truck.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Looks to be in good shape.

The running gear stated would be correct. The CUCVs tend to be lower mileage because they were mostly driven around base and they had an effective top speed that was barely adequate for the slow lane (diesel rpm’s with 4.56 gears). Mine had around 46,000 miles when I bought it 11 or so years ago.

Strick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew
Engine Size
Welcome from Carolina. I've had a few of those CUCV's and love them. I have a piece of one left for parts and think I'll use it for another build. I'm kinda jealous right now because I've found they're not easy to find since the last one the I sold.

Strickland

Buck69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
D30 CUCV
Engine Size
6.2 (removed)
Thanks for the warm welcome.
There will likely be a few hurdles, hopefully small ones, getting this truck back on the road. It is real clean, but the engine and radiator was removed along with most of their mounting hardware. Will be changing over to gas from diesel and it appears it may be a 24V electrical system.
It is still under US title and will require full inspection to register in Canada. Have to do a bit of homework there as it will be required to meet it's emission requirements for that year. It is looking to me at this point, the higher GVW trucks, had exemptions back in '86, so hoping to dodge that one for the inspection.
I have a fresh built 5.7 marine Vortec that I will be temporarily installing for now.
My plan, after the inspection/registration is completed, is to re-arc the springs 3-4" and try a set of 35's under it to see how the wheel/gear combination feels before deciding on a long term engine build.
It sounds like the 4.56 gears can be an issue on the highway. Does anyone have experience with taming that down with taller tires? Just curious so I have an idea of what to expect.
Thanks again!

Strick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew
Engine Size
Here is the last one that I sold a few years back. All stock with the exception of a 4" SkyJacker lift and Superlift dual front stabilizer. 4.56 on the road with the 37" OZ Goodyears were good for about 60MPH max. It was a mule and would do whatever I needed (except get there fast).

Strickland
You must be registered for see images attach

Buck69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
D30 CUCV
Engine Size
6.2 (removed)
Here is the last one that I sold a few years back. All stock with the exception of a 4" SkyJacker lift and Superlift dual front stabilizer. 4.56 on the road with the 37" OZ Goodyears were good for about 60MPH max. It was a mule and would do whatever I needed (except get there fast).

Strickland
I like this. It looks like you had to open up the front wheel wells for the 37's? Was hoping to avoid that if I could but sounds like 37's would be better option.
A mule is exactly what we are looking for. I have an '08 2500 Dmax with all the comforts for long highway runs and heavy pulling.
Our CUCV's main purpose will be for off-highway hunting and fishing adventures, but we will be running some highway to get there. We have a little 420 Solar jet boat that will likely be drug along for most of those trips. It takes us into watersheds that jet boats have only recently been able to run. Just need to get it there.
Thanks for sharing!

Strick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew
Engine Size
I use my trucks a bit differently than most "mall-crawlers"... Here is a shot with '36 Swampers AFTER I did a cab swap on the CUCV. I bought this one and a tree had fallen on it and destroyed the cab and left side of the bed; you couldn't really see the (fixed) damage in the previous pic.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I like this. It looks like you had to open up the front wheel wells for the 37's? Was hoping to avoid that if I could but sounds like 37's would be better option.
A mule is exactly what we are looking for. I have an '08 2500 Dmax with all the comforts for long highway runs and heavy pulling.
Our CUCV's main purpose will be for off-highway hunting and fishing adventures, but we will be running some highway to get there. We have a little 420 Solar jet boat that will likely be drug along for most of those trips. It takes us into watersheds that jet boats have only recently been able to run. Just need to get it there.
Thanks for sharing!
The higher engine speed of the 350 will help get higher highway speeds. Diesels just don’t spin as fast. You’ll be doing roughly 2600rpm at 100km/hr with 4.56 gears and 35” tires.

Tire Diameter in inches x Pi / axle ratio = inches traveled per engine RPM with a 1:1 final drive (th400). 63,360” per mile divided by 24” = 2640rpm.

BKING33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
1987, 1989
Truck Model
K30, Suburban
Engine Size
6.2, 6.2 turbo
I have a lifted CUCV with 35's on it. You will need a 6" lift spring for the front. On the rear I installed the shackle flip kit from off road design. My truck had a spacer on top of the spring pack for a overload spring. I put it under the spring pack. It's about 1". Top speed with the diesel is 60. With a good small block it would be higher. The 24 volt system is just for the starter and alternators. Rest of truck is 12 volt.

Rumbledawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 crewcab
Engine Size
welcome
good to see another BC'er here.
ya, bigger tires will slow down your rpms. i have 4:56's in my crew, with the T400 and stock tires, my 454 would be wound right up at around 35-3600 rpm at 55-60 on the freeway. with my 38's on it, it comes down to a little more reasonable 29-3000 rpm's, but it will hum along with 16000 lbs of truck, camper and trailer all day long with no issues.
everyone says throw a 700 or an od into it, but naw, i haul and tow a lot and with the low gears i do not struggle at all on big hills, nor do i burn out my brakes on the hills as well. about the only downside to 4:56's, your wallet will take a hit with the stupid prices we pay for fuel here in bc though.
you got a solid foundation for bigger tires, 14b and D60 axles, but not really a fan of the 208
and as your trucks stated gvw is 8600, you have no emission issues to worry about. when we had air scare, i would just up the gvw to 8600 and be totally exempt from testing. you will need to be safetied and you will need a RIV sticker before you can insure it.
i picked my crew up at a gov auction in PG over 20 yrs ago, when gov trucks were "real" trucks...

Buck69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
D30 CUCV
Engine Size
6.2 (removed)
Wow! Thank you guys. Can definitely see I have come to the right forum here. You guys have some beautiful trucks and your knowledge will save me a lot experimenting with this one.
I beat the snot out of my previous square bodies in the 80's and early 90's. It was crazy the amount of of abuse I put them through. Probably too much testosterone and disposable income back then. Sadly, I destroyed them as many others did when they were easy to replace.
The T levels have dropped some now and I just plain miss these tough trucks. Don't get me wrong, this truck will be put to the tests, just not planning to abuse (destroy) it the way I did the others.

@Frankenchevy

Thanks for the formula. I will play with it for reference when selecting tires.

@BKING33

Thanks and nice truck! You have the similar clearance I am looking for. This truck has negative arc on the front springs. Maybe an inch or two. I am planning on sticking them in the press at the shop and hoping to re-arc them 3-4" to the positive. I have had great success doing it with all 4 springs on a '97 F350 I had. Will have to take a closer look at the hanger geometry to make sure it will work. I do not remember seeing a a spacer on top of the rear spring packs. There is no additional overload on top. I will likely re-arc them as well slightly, and level the truck the way I want it with a spacer. Will look closer at options when I get there. I would like to have some effective suspension in the rear at the end of the day.

@Rumbledawg

Yes! Nice to see other BC'rs. I'm in Terrace. Your pics reminds me of the Fraser Valley?
You have a beautiful truck and thank you for sharing your numbers. I really wanted a crew cab. Good luck in this part of the country that still has solid or even original metal left. You have a gem there.
I'm a mechanic and not a body-man. Finding this clean all original body and chassis, persuaded me to pull the trigger on a regular cab. Even the coating on the frame is original with the mil' numbers visible.
I swapped out a 350 to a juiced up 454 in my '73. It had 4.10's I believe and was a total animal.
I am hoping the 350 will be a bit easier on the pocket book at the pumps running the higher rpm's. Sounds like torque won't be a problem with these gears. I run a 350 in the ocean boat. It cruises all day at 3200 and it doesn't bother it a bit.

Thanks again all!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BryantRiverRat