New & in need of advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeepndan

Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
Hello everyone great form you have here, from what Ive seen and read so far everyone seem up front, honest and helpful.
I have a bit of puzzle on my hands, any and all input would be greatly appreciated. I have a TBI 350 w/ 700r4 in my 1985 Jeep cj-7. I realize it doesn’t fit this form exactly with it being a Jeep but the drivetrain, engine and transmission are out of a donor 1989 k5 blazer. I did this conversion myself over 20 years ago and it has run flawlessly up until 6 months ago. I purchased a GM Performance TBI 350 all stock (love the reliability) and had my 700r4 rebuilt. After Installing it, it ran beautiful but not being able to leave well enough alone, I decided to install a set of ceramic coated JBA smog legal headers. (I live in California)

The puzzle i’ve been chasing after the install of the headers is, it starts fine, idols beautifully but I am unable to accelerate without stuttering and backfiring violently 0-15mph is the extent of speed I’m able to reach anything above that causes a violent loud backfire. I’ve changed spark plug wires, spark plugs, brand new distributor, and O2 sensor single wire. Currently in the process of installing a three wire heated O2 sensor, I had a completely new exhaust system installed (original design smog legal system) from the headers to the tail pipe. Could improper back pressure in the exhaust system be a cause of this issue? I’m running out of parts to replace and ideas. Does anyone know if installing headers on a TBI motor simply doesn’t work. I’am completely puzzled as to what might be wrong any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any and all input.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Headers will improve flow and will usually lean out the mixture, but the TBI computer should be able to compensate if the O2 sensor is working properly. Does the TBI computer have an OBD interface plug where you can get a reading? I've only worked with carbureted squarebodies.

Bruce

Arkansas_V8

Proud Redneck
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
Headers are fine on a TBI. I run hedman longtubes, with only 4 feet of 2.5" straight pipe, and with no 02. On cold days I have to let it warm up, other than that it's all good. I did have a similar situation but it was my tps, or IAC, hell maybe my CTS. One of those darn sensors.

Last edited:

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
:welcome:

Jeepndan

Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
To 75GMCK25, I do have an OBD interface I will give that a try, the trouble light has never come on but it may have a stored code I might have missed. Thank you Arkansas_V8 I will checking all sensors this morning, I believe there are only a small hand full of them. TPS, IAC are the two major players, If all else fail I’ll just replace them all, hate to spend money replacing a good sensor but at this point peace of mind & a running Jeep will go a long way. I wish I could run No O2 sensors and straight pipe but California is way to uptight for that mind set. lol
Thank you Charlie for the Welcome, much appreciated.
78C10BigTen, No insult taken..that was one of my first thought, that I had crossed a plug wire but all plugs are gaped correct, boots are snapped on and in correct firing order. (I even switch over to a Accel shorty header plug for more clearance)
I’m about start my new round of trouble shooting, I’ll be sure post any new findings or fingers crossed a solution to this problem.
Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Welcome to the site. Timing or vacuum leak?

CorvairGeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
292 L6, T400
"I purchased a GM Performance TBI 350 all stock"

Are these roller or flat tappet?
I hate to say it, but it almost sounds like a cam going flat.

Jeepndan

Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
Thought I would pop back on for a fast update, Timing is dead on, idols perfect! About to check for vacuum leaks and bad sensors.
The funny thing is it ran perfect not a hiccup or backfire until I installed the headers and had new exhaust system built. I don’t think it’s a flat cam, unless it picked the same moment to act up as when the headers were installed, but thank you just the same..that never crossed my mind. Seem to run sporadically better after letting it warm up for 15 or more minutes (Thank you Arkansas_V8 for your input on that idea) tried that out this morning, just kept a medium to high idle going, seems to take off better but backfire and stutter now at 30-40mph. I was told the 3 wire O2 sensor would fix that issue.
Has anyone had better results with a 3 wire setup over the single wire style? For keeping the O2 sensor in a closed loop.?

My breaks over, back to figuring out the sensors now.

Again, Thank you everyone for your input, Much appreciated. I’ll update this once I rule out all my sensors for being the issue.

Preston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Preston
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Welcome to GMSB from Virginia

1973c10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
:welcome:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
"I purchased a GM Performance TBI 350 all stock"

Are these roller or flat tappet?
I hate to say it, but it almost sounds like a cam going flat.

It does sound like a flat cam, but from what I've experienced, a flat cam will always have a dead miss at idle, in addition to the popping and whatnot on acceleration.

Did the O2 sensor wire perhaps get burnt?

C10MixMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG10
Engine Size
ZZ4 350
flat cam didnt happen with the install of the headers. has to be headers/exhaust/ or something with the install.

a couple things to check if dealing with a smog pump is it plumbed rite if originally plumbed behind the o2 sensor and now infront? could do wierd stuff. is there something in the exhaust restricting it a rag fell in it during the install? check for damaged or pinched wires vacuum hoses crushed fuel line . open the hood, step back , walk through all the steps in your head and double check what you did. it did run before and the parts you added will not keep it from running.

climb-101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
seth
Truck Year
Truck Model
c2 crew cab
Engine Size
6.0 LS
i would check for for dirty or cracked plugs. i have seen the porcelain part get dirty from people hands when they install and then the spark goes down the outside of he plug vs the inside. it’s easy to spot at night. best way i have found is have someone start it and hold the break while raving it up a little while its in gear to put a load on it. look at the head where the plugs are and see if you see a spark or a flash.

K201979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hippie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350ci
Welcome. I know nothing about tbi but it sounds like your heading in the right direction and i hear alot of good ideas flying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shake1969