New here

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tom31w

Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
Hi all, new on the forum from Northwest Montana. Retired old (ish) paratrooper playing my hand at small scale cow, sheep and hay farming now.

I picked up a 77 GMC K25 High Sierra a couple of years ago (square bodies have always been my favorite) and have just now pulled it into my shop to start to make street-able. She is a 2 tone blue, mostly rust (I can see the ground through the floor) and it has a Jerry rigged flatbed. Today, I pulled the tractor around (67 David Brown Selectomatic 990 with a du-al 250 loader, but that is a whole other forum subject) and took the flatbed off. I then drove the cab & chassis into the shop to start getting ready to work on her. I found the build sheet and started looking up the RPO codes (most of them deciphered now) and started looking for what components I am working with.

I found the original LS9, heavy duty front springs, 3 speed plus low gear tranny, and a NP205 transfer case, heavy duty brakes and extra clearance option (I suspect that comes from the springs). Still trying to figure out what axles is has and the ratios...

I’ll be heading to Spokane soon to pick up some 17” 3/4 ton dodge rims and and am about to pull the trigger on ordering a complete Prothane bushing kit from Summit.

For now I will operate it with the rusty cab, it will perform farm duty for me (hauling big rounds of hay, pulling hay trailers, pulling gooseneck trailers, etc...) but I do have a nice rust free cab sitting in my shop for when I do decide to do a restore.

I think I have plenty to do to keep me busy for awhile, just wanted to say hi and that I would be checking in from time to time for technical advise, or to pass on any cool stuff I find along the way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Welcome to the site, sounds like a cool project how bout some pics.

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Welcome from the Texas Panhandle.

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
:welcome:from East Texas

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Welcome x2 on the pics

Last edited:

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Welcome.

twinturbo427

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Welcome!

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
Welcome aboard!

Rooster336

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hans
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Hi all, new on the forum from Northwest Montana. Retired old (ish) paratrooper playing my hand at small scale cow, sheep and hay farming now.

Hey man, you might already know this but make sure you sign up for the veteran's discount at Lowes. I did the same thing you're doing now (except I have goats instead of sheep) when I separated. I make a run to Lowes about once a week and that 10% savings really adds up. If it's more than a patch job i will get lumber someplace else but everything else works out well. Goodluck.

PS - Goats are awesome, you need some.

Tom31w

Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
Hey man, you might already know this but make sure you sign up for the veteran's discount at Lowes. I did the same thing you're doing now (except I have goats instead of sheep) when I separated. I make a run to Lowes about once a week and that 10% savings really adds up. If it's more than a patch job i will get lumber someplace else but everything else works out well. Goodluck.

PS - Goats are awesome, you need some.

Thanks for the heads up, I’ve been using the Veterans discount at Lowe’s for years, it is convenient that they finally allowed you to add it to “My Lowes” so you don’t have to wait for a manager every time you check out. We have “accidentally” remodeled 6 houses in the last 5 years so we know all to well how much that 10% discount adds up.

I grew up on a goat dairy, I love them (just sold off the last 3 this past summer) even milked one of them this past year, but the Icelandic Sheep and Scottish Highlander cattle are the direction we finally decided on.

Tom31w

Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
Thanks for the welcome folks, I’ll try to get some pics of the beast up soon.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually