New Here - Can't Wait to Learn from Everyone

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dangonzo

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hey all,

I'm pretty new to this site. I joined in May but haven't been very active because I've been in the process of moving from Oklahoma to Connecticut to start my career, but I can't wait to soak up all of the knowledge that exists here.

I own a 1981 Chevy truck, it was my grandpa's before me, and he gave it to me as my first truck when I turned 16. I've put it through a lot (small garage fire and cracked the block when I ran my truck without any water in it for about 10 miles on the highway), but now that I have a real job I hope to restore it to its former glory.

I do have a problem I can't seem to figure out right now. Right now there is too much play in my throttle linkage. the pedal sits too close to the carpet and there's a lot of play in the cable. It seems like the problem is that the bracket sits too close to the carburetor. I think this has a lot to do with my accelerator sticking. Is there a way to adjust the throttle cable to remove some of this slack? I don't think I can adjust the bracket. Same problem for the kickdown cable where it is too close to the carb to be able to hook up. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

The carburetor is a rochester 2gv if that helps at all.
View media item 7148View media item 7149

Last edited:

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Welcome to the forum. I tried to view the pictures, but it said that it didn't have permission to view. There's not a way to adjust the throttle cable. I wish I could comment on the throttle connection, but my recommendation is to replace the cable since you mentioned sticking.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Welcome to the site, can't see pics either???.

1973c10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Welcome

Cuba

Likes to work alone in her woman cave
Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
Hey @dangonzo , you can upload directly to this site for free. When posting, "upload a file" to post the pics, so we can see & help ya!

Welcome!

donnieray

Talks to dogs and trucks.
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Truck Year
Truck Model
86 C10, 84 K10 MM7 NP833 option truck, 85 K10.
Engine Size
350,355;350.
Welcome! A very knowledgeable and helpful forum here!

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Welcome!

dangonzo

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hey all,

So I accidentally had the viewing permissions set to owner only for my album. I changed the permissions so everyone can view so hopefully you all can see the pics now.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Hey all,

So I accidentally had the viewing permissions set to owner only for my album. I changed the permissions so everyone can view so hopefully you all can see the pics now.

Yep, I see them now.

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Welcome from the Texas Panhandle.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Hey all,

I'm pretty new to this site. I joined in May but haven't been very active because I've been in the process of moving from Oklahoma to Connecticut to start my career, but I can't wait to soak up all of the knowledge that exists here.

I own a 1981 Chevy truck, it was my grandpa's before me, and he gave it to me as my first truck when I turned 16. I've put it through a lot (small garage fire and cracked the block when I ran my truck without any water in it for about 10 miles on the highway), but now that I have a real job I hope to restore it to its former glory.

I do have a problem I can't seem to figure out right now. Right now there is too much play in my throttle linkage. the pedal sits too close to the carpet and there's a lot of play in the cable. It seems like the problem is that the bracket sits too close to the carburetor. I think this has a lot to do with my accelerator sticking. Is there a way to adjust the throttle cable to remove some of this slack? I don't think I can adjust the bracket. Same problem for the kickdown cable where it is too close to the carb to be able to hook up. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

The carburetor is a rochester 2gv if that helps at all.
View media item 7148View media item 7149
Ewww dump that gas sucking pig. Lol swap intakes and put a Q-jet on there or a vacuum secondary 650. My old Cutlass had one of those 2 bbl carbs swapped on a Q-jet and mileage and power improved. Just my .02

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Also looks like a pretty unrotted example for being a Connecticut truck. It's funny I was in New Hampshire last year and it seemed like everyone had a Square sitting in their yard lol.

dangonzo

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Ewww dump that gas sucking pig. Lol swap intakes and put a Q-jet on there or a vacuum secondary 650. My old Cutlass had one of those 2 bbl carbs swapped on a Q-jet and mileage and power improved. Just my .02

Four barrel carbs get better gas mileage than 2 barrel? That seems a bit counter intuitive to me haha. Also any suggestion on how to hook up the kickdown cable or get more clearance for the throttle cable?

Would I just have to get a new mounting bracket, and if so which one?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Four barrel carbs get better gas mileage than 2 barrel? That seems a bit counter intuitive to me haha. Also any suggestion on how to hook up the kickdown cable or get more clearance for the throttle cable?

Would I just have to get a new mounting bracket, and if so which one?
The primary's on a Q-jet are smaller then that abomination on there now. And you gotta give more go pedal to get the truck moving and stay in it longer to do so. What if you put "kick down" cable in the square hole to the right of the throttle cable in your pic? The one back further.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurt54