New headlight/taillight wires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jesse Smith

Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
My truck is finally in running form, but I’ve noticed now that for whatever reason, when I flip the headlights on, and go from high to low beam or vise versa, they shut off completely and won’t come back on. With that being said, the wiring looks to be sketchy at best, and my intentions are to completely rewire my headlights and taillights/turn signals/brake lights. Could anyone give me a general idea on how to get started?

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
If I remember right, power comes out of the headlight switch on a yellow wire, goes to the dimmer switch, and the come out of the dimmer switch as tan (low beam) or light green (high beam). When the headlights act funky on high, does the high beam indicator come on? If you have no high beams, and the speedo indicator comes on, most likely your issue will be under the hood.

Start your diagnosis with the dimmer switch. Check for power on the yellow wire with the headlight switch on. No power? Assuming the parking lamps work, you most likely have a defective headlight switch. If you have power at the yellow wire, check for power on the light geeen or tan. No power on one or both? Most likely dimmer switch.

All this is assuming you have already inspected the grounds at the headlight bulbs, and the terminals at the headlight socket. Make sure the connections are good, give them a little blob of dielectric grease to keep the connection from corroding. Good luck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dougli1