New Gauge Wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

turtle1173

Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Ok, I’ve got my gauges all ready to go. Just a few questions.

1. I’ve got dual tanks. How do I hook up the new gauge? Which wires from the harness do I hook to the fuel sender on the gauge? Will it show me the level on each tank when I switch the tank via the switch?

2. Which wire do I tap into on the headlight switch so the gauge lights come on when I turn on the headlights?

3. Finally, where’s the best place to hook up the gauges so they come on when I turn the key? Run a splice on an ignition wire coming out of the fuse box? Or is there a certain place on the fuse box to come out of?

By the way, this is an ‘85 c10.

Thanks a bunch

Shane

turtle1173

Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
No, I just have one after market fuel gauge. I’m hoping to get it to function as being able to see the fuel level on whatever tank I’m using.

turtle1173

Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Well I tried hooking up the pink wire (pin #18) to the sender on the new gauge. It does nothing. I tried pin 7, 7 and 18, etc. not getting anything. Any suggestions?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Well I tried hooking up the pink wire (pin #18) to the sender on the new gauge. It does nothing. I tried pin 7, 7 and 18, etc. not getting anything. Any suggestions?

I will try to help, but since I'm not sure I understand what is going on, please bear with me. First some questions on the gas gauge issue:

1. I assume you replaced your old gas gauge because it wasn't working - is that correct?

2. You opened the cluster, pulled the original gauge and snapped in the new one - right?

3. Was the original gauge giving inaccurate readings regardless of which tank was on line?

4. Was tank switching operation a problem or was it only level indication?

5. Is the cluster equipped with a factory tachometer?

6. Were there issues with any other gauges/indicating lights or backlighting?

7. When you refer to pin numbers are you identifying them by their position on the printed circuit - or on the harness connector's male plug?

8. If you are counting pins on the male plug, are you referring to the back side (where the leads enter) - or do you mean the tabs?

9. Do you know where the splice point - used to extend the PNK 30 lead over to the Pollak valve is located?

10. And please, don't take this the wrong way - do you have a VOM and know how to use it?

The other two questions have me really confused:

2. Which wire do I tap into on the headlight switch so the gauge lights come on when I turn on the headlights?

No need to "tap into" anything. With the H/L switch in the parking or head light position, variable voltage - from the H/L switch rheostat - is supplied to the 5A INST LPS fuse - on (DK GRN 44). The fuse then feeds the instrumentation lighting circuit (GRA 8) as well as the HVAC control panel and radio backlighting.

3. Finally, where’s the best place to hook up the gauges so they come on when I turn the key? Run a splice on an ignition wire coming out of the fuse box? Or is there a certain place on the fuse box to come out of?

Again, there is no need to provide an external power supply to the gauges. That is already provided by the factory wiring harness - on the (ignition switched) PNK/BLK 39 circuit.

If you have no instrumentation lighting or gauge function, probably the best place to start looking for problems is either in the printed circuit itself or the interface between harness and the PC (i.e the plug/socket). Also be sure that the instrument cluster ground circuits are properly connected to the common ground bus block above the e-brake actuator.

turtle1173

Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thanks chengny for bearing with me and trying to help.

I have put all new after market gauges in and have taken out the printed circuit.

1. The old gas gauge was hit or miss but that and the speedometer were the only gauges in the cluster when I bought the truck.

2. I’ve got all 8000 series gauges from Equus.

3 & 4. I didn’t get the tank switching figured out till after I had removed the previous gauge. The problem ended up being the switch. Both tanks now function and switch properly.

5. There was no tach in the original.

6 & 7. I’m referring to the male plug in the dash. Each side is numbered: 1-9, then 10-18. Pin 18 is the pink wire, that I think lines up with pnk30.

9. I’m not sure about the splice point.

10. If VOM means Volt Ohm meter, then yes. If not, then I’m not sure what that is.

Other questions:
1. I did figure out how to utilize the fuse box. I wasn’t sure if I could wire it through the box or if I would have to splice into a wire on the headlight circuit.

2. I did also figure out how to tie into the fuse box for the ignition.

So I now have a working tach, volt meter, temp gauge, and oil pressure. I was hoping I could tap into some of the wires on the mail plug to connect to the new fuel gauge. Is that possible? What wires came together on the printed circuit to make the factory gauge work?

Thanks again!
Shane

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Thanks chengny for bearing with me and trying to help.

I have put all new after market gauges in and have taken out the printed circuit.

1. The old gas gauge was hit or miss but that and the speedometer were the only gauges in the cluster when I bought the truck.

2. I’ve got all 8000 series gauges from Equus.

3 & 4. I didn’t get the tank switching figured out till after I had removed the previous gauge. The problem ended up being the switch. Both tanks now function and switch properly.

5. There was no tach in the original.

6 & 7. I’m referring to the male plug in the dash. Each side is numbered: 1-9, then 10-18. Pin 18 is the pink wire, that I think lines up with pnk30.

9. I’m not sure about the splice point.

10. If VOM means Volt Ohm meter, then yes. If not, then I’m not sure what that is.

Other questions:
1. I did figure out how to utilize the fuse box. I wasn’t sure if I could wire it through the box or if I would have to splice into a wire on the headlight circuit.

2. I did also figure out how to tie into the fuse box for the ignition.

So I now have a working tach, volt meter, temp gauge, and oil pressure. I was hoping I could tap into some of the wires on the mail plug to connect to the new fuel gauge. Is that possible? What wires came together on the printed circuit to make the factory gauge work?

Thanks again!
Shane

Just like the engine coolant temperature and oil pressure gauges, the gas gauge requires that three leads be connected to it:

1. A 12 VDC power supply, and

2. A direct path to ground, and

3. A sensing leg - with a variable resistance to ground (that is dependent on the media being monitored)

I am confident that if you were able to gut your original cluster, cobble together a new one with aftermarket components and get everything working (except the gas gauge), you have correctly wired the gas gauge's power and direct ground leads.

That leaves the sensing leg as the most likely cause - that the GG doesn't indicate the correct tank level.

The sensing leg is comprised of 3 basic components:

1. A power supply into the sender (the PNK 30 lead) from the gauge

2. A wire wound variable resistor controlled by a float in the tank

3. A lead out of the sender - that connects directly to ground (a short blue or black wire that bolts to the frame)

You must be registered for see images attach

Things get more involved when a tank transfer valve is included in the circuit, but for the sake of simplicity we'll ignore it for this part of the discussion.

Anyway, to diagnose this condition, start with the easy stuff.

1. Make sure the sender's ground connection is securely fastened to the frame - and that there is no paint or rust between the terminal and frame. Also check the other end (i.e where it connects to the sender).

If that ground seems to be okay, move on. You can check for continuity with your meter to be sure. One probe on the sender connection and the other probe to the frame (near the actual terminal). You should read full continuity or get a beep.

2. Next check is the PNK 30 lead. Find the splice point. It is under the cab at the back LH wall (you'll see where it exits the rear lighting harness loom):
You must be registered for see images attach

Key in RUN, break the snap button connector and verify 12 VDC. If confirmed, ground the PNK 30 to the frame (the part that runs forward to the firewall). Key still in RUN - the gauge should peg to "E". Isolate the PNK 30 from ground and the gauge should now peg to "F".

Start with those tests and see what you find out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mack541