New dash pad from Cheyenne Pickup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SmashBack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Big 10
Engine Size
I stressed over this purchase so much that words can't describe. Something so simple that just sits there and does nothing that costs so much, I wanted to make sure I got a good one.

Among the few brands people recommend this one seemed like the best choice for me, and at $385 or so is priced somewhat reasonably compared to others.

When it comes to interior colors it seems that nobody knows what colors were actually which and what years they came in. Everybody seems to call every color something different. My interior is a nice tan, whatever Chevy called it. At Cheyenne the closest color was what they call buckskin - I'm pretty sure that was not a color in 1979 but maybe I'm wrong. Looks good on the website and I ordered one up.

Took a few to get here and when I opened it, the thing had a few sheets of paper in the box for packing material. You have to know this box is going to get abused by a shipping company, charge me $5 for bubble wrap so that you know I'll have a better chance of getting one in good shape. This one does have a dent in it, right over the gauge cluster where I'm going to stare at it every time I drive the truck.

Worse than that in my opinion, this thing is chocolate brown. I've never seen a dark brown like this and it's definitely nowhere close to my interior color. Granted it's hard to gauge what something looks like with the usually less than stellar photography you find on the Internet, but...again maybe I am wrong but I don't think there was a color similar to this offered at least in 79.

I'm going to try to get in touch with them to see what they say, but in case anybody else is considering a dash pad purchase I wanted to show you what I got. This is next to my old faded beat up pad that I pulled out. The edges on the underside and where the cluster attaches over are a nice "British tan" type color, like the rest of the interior. Pretty disappointed overall.

You must be registered for see images attach

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Hmm... I hope you can make it work out for you. That’s disconcerting to hear but not surprising. I’m thinking I’ll try a molded cover (I’ve actually had good luck with one in another vehicle) or repurposing an OEM pad out of a junk cab.

SmashBack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Big 10
Engine Size
I had a Coverlay cap glued to the original, I didn't care for it. Looked wavy and cheap, but it did cover up the cracks!

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I had a Coverlay cap glued to the original, I didn't care for it. Looked wavy and cheap, but it did cover up the cracks!

I think the one in my car’s a Coverlay, but I just plopped it there. No glue. It was like $70, and I didn’t think it could look any worse than it already did, but I’m actually really happy with it. Believe it or not, the photo is a good representation of what it looks like in person.

CorvairGeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
292 L6, T400
I wondered how the speaker grills were covered. That looks good!

climb-101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
seth
Truck Year
Truck Model
c2 crew cab
Engine Size
6.0 LS
most paint shops can custom mix a vinyl die to match your existing dash. you can re-spray the dash just make sure you clean it with soap and water and use an adheasion promoter. i have done both seats and dashes and never had any problem. even the seats didn’t show any marks after years of using them

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I wondered how the speaker grills were covered. That looks good!

Thanks! The cover really impressed me. I’m willing to give it a try for the Jimmy. Maybe the trick isn’t gluing it because it’s very nicely in place just sitting on top.

donnieray

Talks to dogs and trucks.
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Truck Year
Truck Model
86 C10, 84 K10 MM7 NP833 option truck, 85 K10.
Engine Size
350,355;350.
I stressed over this purchase so much that words can't describe. Something so simple that just sits there and does nothing that costs so much, I wanted to make sure I got a good one.

Among the few brands people recommend this one seemed like the best choice for me, and at $385 or so is priced somewhat reasonably compared to others.

When it comes to interior colors it seems that nobody knows what colors were actually which and what years they came in. Everybody seems to call every color something different. My interior is a nice tan, whatever Chevy called it. At Cheyenne the closest color was what they call buckskin - I'm pretty sure that was not a color in 1979 but maybe I'm wrong. Looks good on the website and I ordered one up.

Took a few to get here and when I opened it, the thing had a few sheets of paper in the box for packing material. You have to know this box is going to get abused by a shipping company, charge me $5 for bubble wrap so that you know I'll have a better chance of getting one in good shape. This one does have a dent in it, right over the gauge cluster where I'm going to stare at it every time I drive the truck.

Worse than that in my opinion, this thing is chocolate brown. I've never seen a dark brown like this and it's definitely nowhere close to my interior color. Granted it's hard to gauge what something looks like with the usually less than stellar photography you find on the Internet, but...again maybe I am wrong but I don't think there was a color similar to this offered at least in 79.

I'm going to try to get in touch with them to see what they say, but in case anybody else is considering a dash pad purchase I wanted to show you what I got. This is next to my old faded beat up pad that I pulled out. The edges on the underside and where the cluster attaches over are a nice "British tan" type color, like the rest of the interior. Pretty disappointed overall.

I wish I could have warned you. I had a similar experience with the same company. I posted my complaints on this forum a couple years ago. Mine had a dent in the same place, but some heat from a blow dryer and patience fixed it. Then I had to trim an inch or more of excess material off where it meets the glass. Youd think a dash of that price would be cut to fit. A bad experience. I bought one for my 86 from Brothers and was pleased. Its backed with metal like the original, not plastic.

SmashBack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Big 10
Engine Size
Wow I didn't know, from my googling they come highly recommended. I think I'm going to order up on from USA1 now. I'll make sure they take this one back and they can pay return shipping. Fortunately the CC company will side with me if the shop has a problem with that.

I was trying to avoid using one that was dyed, I can't remember but I think the USA1 is not.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I wish I could have warned you. I had a similar experience with the same company. I posted my complaints on this forum a couple years ago. Mine had a dent in the same place, but some heat from a blow dryer and patience fixed it. Then I had to trim an inch or more of excess material off where it meets the glass. Youd think a dash of that price would be cut to fit. A bad experience. I bought one for my 86 from Brothers and was pleased. Its backed with metal like the original, not plastic.

Was the Brothers one you got NOS? If not, wow. I didn’t know that existed.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
I think the one in my car’s a Coverlay, but I just plopped it there. No glue. It was like $70, and I didn’t think it could look any worse than it already did, but I’m actually really happy with it. Believe it or not, the photo is a good representation of what it looks like in person.

I just went on coverlays website and they go at $155 for my truck. Still unsure about spending that for a dash pad.

roundhouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
77,78,79,80 ?
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I got the coverlay and it looks fine

Don’t think I paid that much

But I don’t remember which vendor I bought it from
LMC maybe ?

If you want an original one
Shop around on car-part.com

Some junkyards actually have some pristine original dash pads for sale
Probabaly brittle though since they are 30 years old

T-ROD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Just out of curiosity, how much did you pay for that? I'm looking for one literally right now and noticed this thread, I started a thread on this earlier, looking for an original, I only want original interior, I was actually willing to pay a pretty price (like maybe 500 something) for one just because they are so hard to find but haven't had the extra cash to throw at one but I'd definitely buy one, I'm wanting the dash pad, gauge cluster, carpet, cluster trim, and steering column for the interior to be exactly like original, the dash pad seems to be one of the hardest parts to find original, My interior is Maroon, it's an 85 Scottsdale, it gas slot of strange and rare options though, Ive had it for over 9 years and i have gotten to know a lot about it

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I remember the GM Buckskin color from back in the day, and it was tan. In fact, here it is:
https://encycolorpedia.com/cfab79

You must be registered for see images

Also, if the vendor knows there's a chance of the dash cover getting damaged during shipment, they should pack it better! More than likely the box they used to ship it was one of 12 or so packed in a larger, thicker box for shipping from overseas, which served as another layer of protection.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
I remember the GM Buckskin color from back in the day, and it was tan. In fact, here it is:
https://encycolorpedia.com/cfab79

You must be registered for see images

Also, if the vendor knows there's a chance of the dash cover getting damaged during shipment, they should pack it better! More than likely the box they used to ship it was one of 12 or so packed in a larger, thicker box for shipping from overseas, which served as another layer of protection.
Buck skin is the color my 78 has

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurt54