new Chevrolet Performance 350 issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

midnightblue

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I like to use oil samples to give me an idea of what is going on inside engines. September 2021 I installed a Chevy Performance 350 crate engine in my 84 Blazer. This is a base model (308hp) using all new components (block crank heads etc). We use the blazer for weekend trips etc. No racing or abuse, maybe a little spirited driving once in a while. The engine now has ~6000 miles on it. I did change the oil and filter at each oil sample. I am using Valvoline VR1 10w30 for the extra zinc since this is a flat tappet cam/lifters. As you can see tin, lead and iron are elevated indicating bearing wear. Oil pressure has been consistent. not as high as my performance motors but consistent. At normal operating temperature 45-50 psi at ~2000 rpm. 13-20 psi in gear stopped.
I contacted Summit whom I purchased it from. I explained the issue and wanted to talk with someone who might offer some insight as to what is going on inside the engine. They gave me a phone number but it was for their supplier and they basically told me that Chevy Performance does not address issues until something breaks. So as of now I have zero support and am coming here for some advise.
Am I concerned for no reason? Where is the copper if this is bearing wear? what are your thoughts?

Attachments

• oil sample 1.jpg
    oil sample 1.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 60

Gray Beard

Reaction score
First Name
Toni
Truck Year
Truck Model
R20
Engine Size
As with any line engine built, the tolerances should be to a stock spec. That being said, you will see some sluff off of bearing and wear material on break in and the oil sample shows that. Monitor oil pressure and temp, change the oil at the interval you have been doing and repeat the oil sampling and test.
Hopefully the sample reports will get better. I would not be concerned at all.

85K304SPD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Where do you get the oil sample tested?

midnightblue

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
As with any line engine built, the tolerances should be to a stock spec. That being said, you will see some sluff off of bearing and wear material on break in and the oil sample shows that. Monitor oil pressure and temp, change the oil at the interval you have been doing and repeat the oil sampling and test.
Hopefully the sample reports will get better. I would not be concerned at all.
Thanks for the reply, I guess I thought this thing should be testing better after 6000 miles and 6 oil changes. Patience, not my strong point :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cheify