New 350HO issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DW_USN

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet K10
Engine Size
I recently had a new Chevy Performance 350HO put in my 1980 Chevy K10 and now has about 350 miles on it. It has been bogging down with acceleration since it was put in, I have taken it back and they adjusted the timing but it still continues and it is now making a tapping noise when accelerating. I don’t notice it at idle or when giving it gas while in park. Everything is brand new on the engine, it came with a Holly 650 cfm carb. Thanks in advance!

85K304SPD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Maybe it needs high octane gas. Sounds like a ping under acceleration.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
That should be a nice, smooth running engine with good power for your truck. The 212/222 @.050 duration might make it a little soft for a heavy truck until you get the rpm up, but it should be way better than the original engine.

They probably advanced the base timing to provide a little more power and stop the bog, but under light acceleration the vacuum advance may now advance it too much and it is pinging.

More timing may be what you need, but it could also be a carburetor adjustment problem. I’m not familiar enough with the Holley to provide specific suggestions, but adjusting the accelerator pump seems like a place to start.

DW_USN

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet K10
Engine Size
I only use 92 Octane in it.

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
I have the sp350/357 gm motor in my 77 k-5, (basically the same as the 350 h.o. but with a larger roller cam) and it was a bit lame on the bottom end out the gate. So I went to timing first, ( I am at 5,000 feet elevation) and the sp350 really liked a lot of initial timing. Its now set at 16 with another 6 degree's with the vacuum can on full vacuum at idle for a total of 22 degree's. I also changed the springs in the h.e.i. so I am all in by 2,800 rpm. I have the weights pinned so I get a total advance of 34 degree's, thats what my motor seems to like, (don't go by books , give the motor what it wants) You will have to play with your own timing because you are at sea level and have less cam, but you need to start there, (try getting your total advance all in by 3,000 rpm and set at a max of 34 and if it pings back it down from there). Then you can play with the initial timing with vacuum cans on full vacuum to get what your motor likes at idle. This is just one way of doing timing, (there are many), I just like to start with total and work backwards.

Then comes the carb, an afr meter in the exhaust is the way to go for tuning. If you don't have that you set the carb. by vacuum gauge for idle mixture, (highest reading) and thats usually a bit lean sometimes but go from there. Then with a holley if you have a bog I always mess with the pump squirters first , ( try bigger ) and if that is no good go smaller. The holley carb. thing is a lot to cover so you may want a book on tuning.

My sp350/357 likes a holley 650 double pumper the best. I also went to a higher stall converter for my trans. (2,000 rpm to 2,200), and that helped as well for low end.

Just keep playing with it.