Need non-AC suburban headliner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TomC

Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Does anyone know where to get a non AC headliner for my 81 suburban?
It is an old municipal vehicle and there is no headliner or headliner trim.
All I see listed is for rear AC equipped suburbans. I haven’t found a descent one to
begin with from a junk yard.
Ideas?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I could use one too. The previous owner chucked it.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Old thread but question still applies. Does anyone know of somewhere to find one? I still can only find listings for rear A/C trucks only. My truck has a bare ceiling. I MAY have the old card stashed away somewhere so I could re cover it, but even that was beyond saving from what I remember so probably not, I probably tossed it out along with the front. Not so worried about the front because they're all the same, but the rear is hard to come by. Honestly I wouldn't even care what color it is so much, would just be nice to have something up there. I wonder why nobody makes one? Was rear A/C really that popular of an option? Not like I've spent a lot of time around too many other square 'Burbs, but the few I have been in over the years didn't have rear air either. Never actually seen it in person, just pictures online. It's weird, looks aftermarket with that big **** hanging off the ceiling lol

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
I bought mine from Classic Industries- I have rear air, but they thing was a giant roll of perforated vinyl that had sewn seams ( which my original dis not have )and IIRC it was just one big rectangular piece the trim shop had to cut.

No backing, though- just the vinyl.

I think it was @Big Chip , but someone here bought the perforated vinyl direct from a manufacturer or source they found.

Cheaper, and you will still need the backing, so that may be a problem child.

If you have any local trim shops it is worth asking for a quote.

BTW- I have always like the way that the rear air blows forward. When you go around a corner you can feel a wall of cold air come from the back and hit you in the head.

:Big Laugh:

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size

This is where I bought my material but I don't know what to tell you about a source for the backer.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I bought mine from Classic Industries- I have rear air, but they thing was a giant roll of perforated vinyl that had sewn seams ( which my original dis not have )and IIRC it was just one big rectangular piece the trim shop had to cut.

No backing, though- just the vinyl.

I think it was @Big Chip , but someone here bought the perforated vinyl direct from a manufacturer or source they found.

Cheaper, and you will still need the backing, so that may be a problem child.

If you have any local trim shops it is worth asking for a quote.

BTW- I have always like the way that the rear air blows forward. When you go around a corner you can feel a wall of cold air come from the back and hit you in the head.

:Big Laugh:
Yep! That's very true about going around corners!

I installed a rear AC unit in my '78 to get around the headliner issue.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Yep! That's very true about going around corners!

I installed a rear AC unit in my '78 to get around the headliner issue.

More power to you, but that's a hard way to go about it.

I had rear ac installed ( I pulled the parts from a pickapart ) in my 91.

All factory except the relay, but I always smelled an electrical smell afterwards from the ac switch.

Not something I ever noticed in Goldie or my 77, both of which have factory rear air.

The blower on Goldie makes funny noises on high, but thanks to @yevgenievich I have spare parts.

:waytogo:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrayWK