need help !!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave Harding

Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
hey guys so i got a 79 k 20 two days ago a fixer upper and when i turn my wheel it cracks or a grind kinda i put a drag link in today and it was better but when i turn and have about 1/4 of a turn left in the wheel it cracks and the other thing when i cut the wheel when i back up it seems to want to go stright like the tiers are not turning it dos it going forward to just not as much if anyone knows anything let me know this is my first old truck and i want to get it going help me out thanks......

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
:welcome:

Cuba

Likes to work alone in her woman cave
Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
Sounds like someone did some front end work without aligning the vehicle after, like a tie rod end. Does anything else in the steering look new or recently molested? or the Gear box could be having something going on with it. Need to jack up the front end on stands, and maybe have a buddy or wife turn the steering wheel while you're looking underneath. See what you can see. What's it doing or not doing, etc

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Before jacking it up, it's best to have a helper steer it back and forth while you see what's going on under there. The weight on the tires puts more pressure on the steering components and makes worn components more obvious.

I also agree that it sounds like it's out of alignment.

And make sure to check out the area of frame where the steering box bolts up. The frames are known to crack there.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Yeah if it sounds like some kind of cracking noise it could be the frame by the steering box scraping against itself..

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Or steering gear box loose