Need help with Parking Brake cable routing on my 84 K20

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chopperroxie

Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Hello all,
I ordered a new Parking brake cable kit from Inline Tube for my K20 since mine did not come with any of it still attached. I attached the 2 cable pieces at both brake drums but I don't know how the intermediate section attaches. The driver side cable hooks in at the bracket on the frame but the passenger side I can't figure out. It looks like it somehow crosses over and runs along the driver side frame.

Does anyone have a diagram or picture of their assembly? I contacted Inline Tube and they were no help.

Thanks so much

Corey

EvilGenius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Darien
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I've spent some time replacing my ebrake hardware and I referenced this exploded diagram on LMC a lot. Hopefully the kit from Inline tube has everything you need. If it doesn't, LMC had every part including the little plastic bushings.

chopperroxie

Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thanks for the reply and diagram @EvilGenius I haven't seen that before. My question is, my cable 2 and 3 are the same length. The passenger side isn't long enough to stretch over to the driver side frame. I do have an intermediate cable that can hook into that passenger side cable and stretch over but I don't know where it would mount.

The kit I got is specific to my model so I'm assuming it is correct.

hoagster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1973, 2000
Truck Model
K10, 1500
Engine Size
5.3l
Here's and image I tried to highlight the area's were the routing hardware is attached to the frame and intermediate cable. hope this helps.

You must be registered for see images attach

chopperroxie

Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thanks @hoagster, I think that design was pre-84. It look like my passenger side cable crosses over at the rear axle and meets with the drivers side cable and then 1 cable goes up to the parking brake.
I'm thinking my passenger side cable is not long enough but I was wonder if I can hook it into this intermediate cable I have.

Attached is a photo of my kit. It's the cable that is looped that is in question.

WebMonkey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
my 85 k20 has 13" drums and the parking brake cables are not of equal length.

the passenger side is much longer as it passes over to the driver's side makes a turn with the driver's side cable then connects to the 'coupler' that attaches to the pedal cable.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Mine don't pop back up when I pull the release handle. What would cause that? I've looked at the cables under the truck and they seem to be ok.

chopperroxie

Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thanks @WebMonkey, I wonder if I'm going to have to get the #3 cable in that LMC Truck exploded view from above. It's the passenger side which routes all the way over. I'm probably going to need that equalizer bracket where they both attach as well.

I was worried about the cable part connecting to the brake drum backing plate. Some have tangs holding them in and some have a dual plate with 2 bolts holding them.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
You probably have the wrong kit, if it is the one pictured above. The 84-89 has different attachment clips also. Here what my '85 looks like. The right cable attaches to the differential, then over to the bracket shown above the red arrow.

chopperroxie

Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thanks for the pictures @Craig 85 , I guess I didn't get the right kit. Looks like I'll need that longer passenger side cable, and the bracket that they meet at.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Return everything you have. None of it is the same. You can see here, the right cable is threaded at the end and the left clips to the bracket then connects to the mid-cable. Excuse the tape, I was using it for adjustments.

hoagster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1973, 2000
Truck Model
K10, 1500
Engine Size
5.3l
@chopperroxie my bad, didn't look at the year of your truck. You'll get it done.

WebMonkey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
that's what mine looks like.

thanks for posting.
my build/rebuild pics aren't as nice.

:)

chopperroxie

Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Oh ok, that makes sense. Thanks so much for the detailed pics

HOTFOOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc k3500 srw
Engine Size
Thanks @hoagster, I think that design was pre-84. It look like my passenger side cable crosses over at the rear axle and meets with the drivers side cable and then 1 cable goes up to the parking brake.
I'm thinking my passenger side cable is not long enough but I was wonder if I can hook it into this intermediate cable I have.

Attached is a photo of my kit. It's the cable that is looped that is in question.

that kit looks like my 80 k3500, its for pre 84

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL