Need halp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
2010 Nissan Maxima won't start, key light is on. Did some Google searching but no tricks to get the steering lock to disengage are working so far. I know we got some of the finest mechanics on this site so I thought I would throw it out there and see if you got any good suggestions.

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I assume it has the push button starter like the newer ones?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Yes. He tried beating on the steering lock module and it won't release. Just called a tow truck. :shitsweak:

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
My wife has a '14 Altima. Had a damn mouse chew up the air filter and make a nice nest in the blower motor. $700 to fix that ********. That was 3 months ago. I started her car this morning and the heater came on and made a god awful racket. I bet those bastards did it again. I think I will fix it myself this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Try disconnecting the battery for a couple hours :)

Sent from the dust in front of you!

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
:help:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
@HotRodPC @towjoe @ScottyB

Hey you tow guys here, how do you guys tow these new cars with the keyless push button start when they are locked down? Can't turn the wheel or put it in neutral? You just drag it on and off the truck?

GTME94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500 C6P Camper Special
Engine Size
454/TH400/14bff 3.73
I don't know about other brands but my Escape has a gear shift release that is under the trim ring around the shifter. You pry up the trim ring and then there is a white lever to pull and release the shifter.

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels
I usually start with checking the manual. Some of these have an override to get them into neutral. Worst case scenario I'll skate it up.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I usually start with checking the manual. Some of these have an override to get them into neutral. Worst case scenario I'll skate it up.

Yeah the owner manual should say how to remove from park. A lot of cars just have a little slot that you stick the key into, but some cars now you have to pop some plastic covers off to access the release.

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels
Yeah the owner manual should say how to remove from park. A lot of cars just have a little slot that you stick the key into, but some cars now you have to pop some plastic covers off to access the release.

Yeah, but the electronic shift models can be a bit different.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yeah, but the electronic shift models can be a bit different.

Yup, and I can't remember how the late model Nissans are setup. Been away from modern cars for the last year or so.

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels
BMW X5 is a PITA. It is actually a 2 person job unless you have remote control for your hydraulics. There is an override but it has to be held in position or it bounces back.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
BMW X5 is a PITA. It is actually a 2 person job unless you have remote control for your hydraulics. There is an override but it has to be held in position or it bounces back.

BMW X5, I've had 3 BMW Techs on my rollback before to get one off. It had to have 2 pieces of the pan off the bottom of the car removed, then they had access to the transmission linkage under the car. Took them over 40 minutes just to get it off. I had no choice. The customer was right there and 1 stupid ass ****** tech said, you CAN"T shake it off, you'll damage the transmission. Oh really dumb ****? I've shook off several with my technique and never harmed a thing.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
@HotRodPC @towjoe @ScottyB

Hey you tow guys here, how do you guys tow these new cars with the keyless push button start when they are locked down? Can't turn the wheel or put it in neutral? You just drag it on and off the truck?

If I've tried other methods to no avail, and the wheels are cut hard left or right and I need it up on a rollback, first I find the park interlock override. Most foreign cars and Jeep Commanders have them. Some cars like Chargers and Challengers you have to pull the shifter bezel cover, and have a hook pick. Use the pick with a hook on it to reach down in there and pull on the Yellow or Pink spring loaded plastic bypass lever. And you have to be gentle with it or you'll break the plastic override, then you're fuct and it can't be overridden.

Some cars have a location where you touch the intelli key fob to a certain spot in the vehicle and look for a signal that it communicated with the FOB. Some will make a chime sound. Some will flash a security lignt on the dash, some will chirp the horm. Some you must do this spot and be flat ass laying on the brake pedal as hard as you can trying to push the pedal thru the floorboard. Somehow the master cylinder is detecting the amount of pressure you're applying to the pedal. Some FOB's like on Land Rover, you hold the FOB under the steering column, touching the column about right in the center from the distance of the dash to the start of the steering wheel. Hold it there 5 seconds and wait for the signal that it communicated with the FOB. Some you hold the FOB right on the start button but not pushing the button with the FOB. When you hear the chime, then you know it communicated, then you have like 10 seconds to hit the brake pedal hard and release park and the steering wheel lock.

So if all else fails, hell yeah, just drag it on up and shake it off at the dealership. This is why roll backs now need Go Jacks these days. I've always gotten by with just using homemade skates or wreckmaster poly skates, and have even gotten by just shaking them off using watered down Dawn.

The other option, like in this Nissan Maxima which is FWD, is just to use a conventional wheel lift truck and you can load those just fine with the wheels cut hard in either direction. They'll sit in the L arms just fine even in a Self Loader. I do it all the time. This is why I get all the No Key, or NO Key FOB recognized calls. Even with a wheel lift truck though, if it's nosed it on pavement or concrete, then you use Go Jacks to get it out of the hole, or strap the rear wheels down real tight and drag it backwards on skates. If on gravel or dirt, straps the rear wheels in the lift and drag it backwards, set it down and rehook in the front.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T3rraBeara