Need creative spare tire relocation ideas / building an in bed mount for cheap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Ok so my truck has a dump kit installed on the factory bed, in order for the hitch to clear the rear bumper it is mounted further in than it would normally and blocks all access to the factory spare tire spot. So I can only see two options. In the bed, mounted to the side i honestly don't like that all that much because it would interfere with my ability to haul 55 gallon drums in the bed. Or fab up a mount and mount it to the front bumper. I'm leaning towards the front bumper idea but I thought I'd see if someone else had a better thought.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I feel front bumper would cause some weird issues with cooling and uh.. wind. Like make an odd aero problem. Do you have saddle tanks? I was gonna say maybe make a drop down mount and secure a smaller diamater tire to a 16 inch wheel and hide it up in there? Or perhaps illegally mount on the side of the bed(external) or just up against the back of the cab in the bed. Perhaps a roof rack of sort that goes over cab, connects to frame, and doesnt intefere with box? Inline 6 your truck and use the engine bay and some insulation!!??

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Is the gap between the box and cab somewhat normal? Or does the box sit slightly rearward from the cab? Wondering of thee is room for a
1.5" x 2" headache rack between the cab and box..
If so, the headache rack could extend over the top of the cab and then a horizontal platform over the cab for the tire,(and other things, if needed).

Lugnut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
1979, 1986
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
'79) 350/ granny 4-speed, '86) 350/A833 3-speed with overdrive
You must be registered for see images attach

I had the exact same problem that you do. I know this isn't the best pic. to show exactly what I did but I didn't drive this truck today. What I did was to do away the the factory hanger. I went to the junk yard looking around and found a more modern style hanger, sorry I do not remember what truck I pulled it off. It did have a chain instead of a cable, mounted to to a piece angle and mounted it to the frame. this let me get it closer to the rearend and clear the bumper and my homemade hitch which isn't visible in the pic. everything is very tight but it works. I drilled a hole in the bumper next to the tag and use the handle of my lug wrench to let it down. The spare is a 33x12.50x16.5, also my exhaust turns down right after the mufflers.

Hope this helps.
Good luck

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
I too need a spare spot. Before I put the stock suspension on I had it sitting between the fender well and front of bed. Like this here.

I was thinking of getting one of those hooks with the wing nut for a spare in the trunk. Then hook it in the side of the bed and tighten up the tire that way.

Under the bed would be better but, this was an idea I was kicking around.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
There's a lot of larger trucks that have a cage under one side of the body that holds a spare. I'm guessing that's why Auroragirl was asking about the tanks. It would probably hang down a bit, but when you're limited for options...

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Dam, I need one of those dump bed conversion kits! Sure would make unloading firewood a lot easier. Does it just attach to the stock bed or is there an extra frame added?

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small

I had the exact same problem that you do. I know this isn't the best pic. to show exactly what I did but I didn't drive this truck today. What I did was to do away the the factory hanger. I went to the junk yard looking around and found a more modern style hanger, sorry I do not remember what truck I pulled it off. It did have a chain instead of a cable, mounted to to a piece angle and mounted it to the frame. this let me get it closer to the rearend and clear the bumper and my homemade hitch which isn't visible in the pic. everything is very tight but it works. I drilled a hole in the bumper next to the tag and use the handle of my lug wrench to let it down. The spare is a 33x12.50x16.5, also my exhaust turns down right after the mufflers.

Hope this helps.
Good luck
You fit a 33 under there?! I have no dump bed on my k30 and it wouldn’t fit well behind my step bumper and hitch without hanging down. More pics if you get a chance please!

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
On My 1959 Dodge W100 Power Wagon, I built a headache rack and then mounted the spare tire over the top of the cab.

Lugnut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
1979, 1986
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
'79) 350/ granny 4-speed, '86) 350/A833 3-speed with overdrive
You fit a 33 under there?! I have no dump bed on my k30 and it wouldn’t fit well behind my step bumper and hitch without hanging down. More pics if you get a chance please!

It does hang down more than I would like it to, but I have gotten used to it. I will get more pics after I get home from work. I just don't have any good ones on my phone.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Dam, I need one of those dump bed conversion kits! Sure would make unloading firewood a lot easier. Does it just attach to the stock bed or is there an extra frame added?
I use mine all the time. I had no idea how handy it would end up being. It depends on the kit. Some sit up and back a little on a reinforcing frame others don't. my dump attaches directly to the bed so when it is down you can't tell its had any modifications.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size

Hope this helps.
Good luck

Your dump looks a lot like mine, I'll have to take a look to see if I could make something like that work on mine. This looks like the most promising option so far.
I feel front bumper would cause some weird issues with cooling and uh.. wind. Like make an odd aero problem. Do you have saddle tanks? I was gonna say maybe make a drop down mount and secure a smaller diamater tire to a 16 inch wheel and hide it up in there? Or perhaps illegally mount on the side of the bed(external) or just up against the back of the cab in the bed. Perhaps a roof rack of sort that goes over cab, connects to frame, and doesnt intefere with box? Inline 6 your truck and use the engine bay and some insulation!!??
I've done a front mount on my jeep, because factory it stored inside, and that just doesnt work for two large adults and two great Danes. I'm sure it disturbs the air flow, but it's never caused a over heating problem either. One saddle tank on the drivers side, hydraulics for dump are where the right tank would otherwise be so that's not an option.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twistedgmt400