Need a/c compressor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Truck Year
1977 Chevrolet 454 Burb, 1976 Sierra 15 long bed
Truck Model
Sierra 15
Engine Size
454, 350
I hope this is the right section for this.
I brought home a 77 Burb w/front and rear air.
I suspect it needs a new compressor.
Any suggestions of where to buy one and is there a special type due to front and rear air?
Thanks in advance.
You must be registered for see images attach

Backfoot100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Carbed 350
You probably have an A6 (long and heavy) or an R4 ( pancake) compressor now.
You can replace either one with new or rebuilt units but the quality sucks. The makers of these compressors has long been sold off many times over.

I had an R4 in my rear air Sub and uograded the factory unit from R12 refrigerant to 134. It lasted a couple months before the compressor seized. I took a chance on a new R4 that was built to run 134. That lasted about 15 months before it stopped cooling and making some horrendous noises.

I upgraded to a new modern Sanden compressor which requires new mounts and hoses but runs awesome. You'll find all kinds of similar posts on this site with the same recommendations.

Really cool Sub by the way.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Compressor is a bit expensive to just SUSPECT it needs one without knowing for sure. What makes you suspect it needs a compressor? Could have a low pressure switch keeping the clutch from engaging. Could be a bad clutch. Is their moisture in the system?

Pops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Truck Year
1977 Chevrolet 454 Burb, 1976 Sierra 15 long bed
Truck Model
Sierra 15
Engine Size
454, 350
Thank you men.
As to why, I am embarrassed to say I am a very lost owner..mechanically speaking.
I base the need on what appears to be Freon residue on the bottom side of hood just above where the compressor sits.
Isn’t that a potential indicator?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Thank you men.
As to why, I am embarrassed to say I am a very lost owner..mechanically speaking.
I base the need on what appears to be Freon residue on the bottom side of hood just above where the compressor sits.
Isn’t that a potential indicator?
Not always. What if the O rings on the hoses that go into the compressor have dry rotted and the freon just spewed out? O rings are cheap?

Are you still running R-12 in it? Personally I'd wanted it converted to R134a just for the cost of freon. You may be on the right track anyway. If you know it's the original or an old compressor, the older worn compressor may not hold up to the higher pressure of R134a anyway so it would need replaced.

It may be best to find someone that is very good and fluent with AC and just pay the man. Get a complete thorough inspection. Have the complete system vacuumed out, orfice changed, all O-Rings replaced at the hose fittings, recharged with new oil and R134a. Hopefully that lasts for years and when the time comes that you do get a leak, it's not near as expensive to add freon and maintain. You might even be able to handle it yourself next time the system needs some maintenance. You'd be able to add some freon and leak detector yourself and then make the repair and carry on.

louu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Truck Year
Truck Model
C3500
Engine Size
454 for now working on LS
Air conditioning is actually a lot easier than most people think.

Just buy a Compressor from advance auto parts, use the 25% off coupon from retail me not and save $50.

Get an air powered vacuum pump from harbor freight for 20 bucks. Let it run for a half hour and fill it up with 134.

If you know someone that does hvac ask of you can borrow their referigant sniffer and check all your connections.

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
I have had a few of the reman A6's and some did not last long. The one I have now has been the best so far, about 2 years now. If I need to replace again, I am going to use this one,

https://nostalgicac.com/a6-to-sanden-conversion-kit.html

Not sure about quality or reliability but it has been a crap shoot on the reman A6.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ssgmike