My truck runs! Stopping? Eh not so good

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

79K15 HIghSierra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Reuben
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
I got my motor running well enough to get my truck on the road! Safety first so I just ambled around the neighborhood and realized my brakes are in need of attention! Got new calipers and pads on the front and went to bleed them...lines clogged! Master cylinder and two front rubber houses are en route from rock auto, but wanted to get a general consensus of things to look out for, tips etc. I’m going to use compressed air to try and blow out the metal lines if possible. Any help is appreciated! I’ve heard the connection can be fickle? Do I need to prime the new cylinder?

Poppy 87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado
Engine Size
You absolutely should "bench bleed" the master cylinder. Not sure what method that you prefer, but might consider gravity bleed method if in no hurry followed by conventional brake hydraulic method. You may want to consider "flare nut" wrenches so you don't round out brake line fittings if you do not have them in your tool inventory. Make sure the rear brake shoes are properly adjusted prior to bleeding the system. Good time to adjust parking brake as well. Good luck

jjester6000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
I got my motor running well enough to get my truck on the road! Safety first so I just ambled around the neighborhood and realized my brakes are in need of attention! Got new calipers and pads on the front and went to bleed them...lines clogged! Master cylinder and two front rubber houses are en route from rock auto, but wanted to get a general consensus of things to look out for, tips etc. I’m going to use compressed air to try and blow out the metal lines if possible. Any help is appreciated! I’ve heard the connection can be fickle? Do I need to prime the new cylinder?

You should prim the new master cylinder, but the clogged line issue sounds like some collapsed brake hoses, so now hoses should fix that. While you're at it, I'd put wheel cylinders on it since they might start leaking after 41 years (Though my '74 is still running it's original wheel cylinders, lines, hoses and calipers).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL