1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My new running project

Discussion in '2wd Pick-Ups C/R 20 2500 C/R 30 3500' started by Dutch Rutter, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Dutch Rutter

Dutch Rutter Full Access Member

First Name:
    Joshua
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K20
    Engine Size:
    so as a few of you have been following I figure I should start a build thread. This will probably be slow going. since this 83 will be my daily driver for the most part.

at the beginning of the month I recently picked up a 1983 Chevy K20. So far from what I can tell its in pretty decent shape. 14 semi floater read end, slight leak on the t-case, pretty strong 700r4 and a 350 with what I was told a mild RV cam, timing gears instead of the chain, 680 CFM edelbrock carb, and an older edelbrock intake manifold. other then that the seller said it is stock. he also informed me that he replaced the Radiator, hoses and thermostat not to long ago. It came to me on 33" M/Ts which I took off and put on my 31" A/Ts in order to prolong the M/Ts life and not tear them up on the pavement.

My plan:
    When I can have it down for a bit I will be putting in my built 350
    RV Cam
    polished crank
    shaved down aluminum edelbrock heads, with longer rods and roller rockers
    oversized, high comp pistons
    edelbrock RPM high rise intake manifold
    1" carb spacer
    and another edelbrock 680 CFM carb

This motor is currently sitting in my 86 C20 which I converted from a diesel several years ago.

once I have the motors swapped, then I will work through the other problems that come with doing that.

For now I would like to keep the 83 running and try to sort out as many small issues as possible with the trans, electrical, and cooling system. This truck will remain my DD as well as weekend off road warrior, and it will still need to be able to pull our quads to and from riding areas.

I've attached a few shots that I believe I have already posted, just because everyone likes pictures and I for some reason don't take that many. :shrug:

Attached Files:

2. Dutch Rutter

First Name:
    Joshua
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K20
    Engine Size:
    So first problem on the chopping block for the 83 is a possible cooling issue.

It has a "new" (from previous owner) 2 core radiator. with the aluminum fins and plastic side caps. At first I didn't think anything of it as the temp gauge has not been over the half way point. however today when I got home from work I was looking at my steering components and noticed that it looks as though my RAD boiled over. meaning I had some not a lot but some coolant drips on the passenger side of the rad, I opened the hood to find more evidence that it burped some coolant out of the cap. instead of into the overflow bottle.

I then pulled the cap to notice my coolant level was low, so I filled it up. then let it idle with the cap off to try and "burp" the system. it started surging coolant out of the cap hole in the rad, then it would drop and then surge again. but the coolant it was pushing out was brown... not green like what I put in..

so my question is what should I do from here to figure this out? could I have a cooling issue? or am I just loosing my mind and looking for things to fix?

3. Dutch Rutter

First Name:
    Joshua
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K20
    Engine Size:
    Alrighty got the cooling issue tinkered out. It was just air in the system. drove it a bit with the cap a little loose and that took care of that.

Also figure I should post some teaser photos. this is the motor in my 86 C20 that I will be putting in the K20 this soon as I get some space to work.

Attached Files:

4. Dutch Rutter

First Name:
    Joshua
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K20
    Engine Size:
    This is what the 83 currently has that will be replaced by that beasty.

Attached Files:

5. Dutch Rutter

First Name:
    Joshua
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K20
    Engine Size:
    A few updates to the truck. Got my sound system installed, 2 6.5" kickers in the doors with custom made spacers, 2 6x9s in the cab corners, and 1 12" kicker CVR Comp D sub powered by my 500 watt MTX amp.

Attached Files:

6. Dutch Rutter

First Name:
    Joshua
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K20
    Engine Size:
    Also I added a front tow-a-ford hook.

This coming week I'll be getting a chrome suburban rear bumper for the truck and I'll also be adding (soon as its delivered) my trans temp guage, trans cooler with an electric fan that I'll be wiring to a button in the cab to keep my 700r4 nice and cool

Attached Files: