my new (first) vette, or my wifes? LOL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
Well this is the replacement to the s10 I built, traded it off 2 days ago for this 79 vette, best I can gather it's a low end l48 nothing speical, does run and drive. needs interior work. Also needs door windows and locks working, all power and one outside door handle. It also needs t-top seals and who knows what else I'll find...

You must be registered for see images attach

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I'll get some engine pics today as I got the stuck hood open last night.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none

NICE VETTE!!!!!!!!!!!

and on a side note engine pics. I see finned valve covers and an alum intake.
she must like the garage, I hooked the battery up and tried it, cranked over, hit the gas 3 times fired right up.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
And you thought a V8 S10s had a tight engine bay........welcome to cram packed engine bay. Lol should be a fun project.. just be sure to look over that frame real good.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
well first lil project or second third whatever done lost count lol. Anyways. removed the seats, and got th ekick panels and console side carpet trim out of the way, pulled the wet carpet back and emoved th epadding to check the floors. I thought they were fiberglass but turns out like 75 or 76 or somewhere in there and up had steel floors. Well I figured these were toast, but they aren't too bad. It's got some bad scale where it humped up in front of the seat, and I'm sure a wire brush will expose some pin holes, but if so and regardless I'm going to coat it all with por15 and if there is holes, used the mat they have or some fiberglass mat to cover over them.

I had to soak the seat belt bolts I know they are a PITA so I figured soak em now, hit em tomorrow morning, hit em tomorrow afternoon then try and remove them. Then all the front carpet will be gone, and I can clean and dry the floors and get ready to treat.

I'll also take the carpet outside and scrub it off good and see how well it cleans up.

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Nice car Swims. I'm sure you and the wife will enjoy it.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Nice! I took notice to that gauge cluster in the center.....the wheels are turning now!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
It sure looks like a very nice car. And it looks bone stock too, so you shouldn't run into any surprises when you work on it.

Do you have plans for it, besides fixing the cosmetics and maybe rebuilding the carb? It should retain (or more likely improve) it's value if it's kept all stock.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Very nice. I love C3 Corvettes. I'd love to have me one someday. They're appreciating in value, though, so I'd be paying a pretty penny.

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
Vortec 383, modified TBI/4L80e
Welcome to the club. I've had my '76 for 16+ years and will probably never get rid of it. (Unless it was to get a chrome bumper C3, pre '73)

Check out C3VR.com. I've belonged for years, there are some very knowledgeable folks there.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
thanks guys, wife wants it she claims it so I'm thinking I'll leave it up to her.

I know she wants to epaint another color.

I wanted to change wheels yet keep the originals, like some cragar ss's or torque thrusts, or even chrome vette rallys, she doesn't like rallys.

I would cleaup underhood and chrome everything, and keep the orignals that I take off, but not sure what will happen. I'd also like to remove all smog junk, egr manifolds etc. I'd put on sidemount headers and side pipes but they aint cheap LOL. I'm just kinda taking this one as it comes to see what happens.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
thanks guys, wife wants it she claims it so I'm thinking I'll leave it up to her.

I know she wants to epaint another color.

I wanted to change wheels yet keep the originals, like some cragar ss's or torque thrusts, or even chrome vette rallys, she doesn't like rallys.

I would cleaup underhood and chrome everything, and keep the orignals that I take off, but not sure what will happen. I'd also like to remove all smog junk, egr manifolds etc. I'd put on sidemount headers and side pipes but they aint cheap LOL. I'm just kinda taking this one as it comes to see what happens.
I'm sure you realize if it's something SHE likes,wants or needs money is no object......lol but that $100 item your play truck needs is wasteful spending... just roll with it enjoy her Vette and doing upgrades and keep the truck project off her radar.....the easiest build I ever did was my Audi,and most expensive, was when my wife had her lifted truck as long as I was doing stuff to that no questions were asked about my Audi and it's $1000 clutch set up or $1200 exhaust and so on and so forth.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
If it was me I would clean it up, paint it if it needs it, get it running right, stereo, whatever it needs to be complete, and then get a vanity plate that says "FOR TRADE". Don't fall in love with it, someone out there really wants a vette and has something really nice to swap for it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garethrowsell