My new bowtie.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
As most know, I sold my square. But I am still in a bowtie. And now I don't mind sharing it.

Don't hate me for getting a new pickup :Get him!:
It's a 22 Colorado Z71 CCLB with the 3.6l V6. I have 1600 miles on it now and have had it for two months or so now. It's been a nice and smooth lil rig so far. Tomorrow it'll be pulling the rommates little u-haul trailer up and over the snowy pass, to her new place. This will be a good test for it.
You must be registered for see images attach

I've already added a set of RokBlok mudflaps, the gm performance front and mid Skid plates. I do have the GM 1" level kit for it which will be installed soon.

I'll also be getting rear shock skid plates, a spray in bed liner, and some rockslider/steps. Other then that, it'll be staying pretty well stock until the warranty is up.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
@Dutch Rutter My Daughter has the same rig in the Desert Tan? color. She's had it for 5 or 6 months and really likes it, still missing the seat heater chip. It's at the dealer, she just has to go get them installed. Her ride goes well with my 2017 Brown CCSB. I have 84K on mine.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@idahovette

The heated seats are well worth it (I'm spoiled now in my space ship compared to the 83). The desert tan (love that color) would have been my first choice in color. But unfortunately color choices at MSRP were very limited. In fact, I ended up driving 4 hours one way to get this one just because it was priced at MSRP. I would have bought a used one if I could have found one less then 100k miles and more then 5k under the price of a new one.

I'm looking forward to having this around for many years. I do wish they had push button start, and the unlock buttons on the exteriour door handles... but other then that I haven't found it lacking.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
As most know, I sold my square. But I am still in a bowtie. And now I don't mind sharing it.

It's a 22 Colorado Z71 CCLB with the 3.6l V6. I have 1600 miles on it now and have had it for two months or so now. It's been a nice and smooth lil rig so far. Tomorrow it'll be pulling the rommates little u-haul trailer up and over the snowy pass, to her new place. This will be a good test for it.

I've already added a set of RokBlok mudflaps, the gm performance front and mid Skid plates. I do have the GM 1" level kit for it which will be installed soon.

I'll also be getting rear shock skid plates, a spray in bed liner, and some rockslider/steps. Other then that, it'll be staying pretty well stock until the warranty is up.
Nice!
Clear bra the front bumper and hood. Money well spent IMO if you’re keepin it for the long haul.
It’s not cheap but not horrible. Prolly $300 for both precut kits.
I love color matched bumpers. I hate rock chips!

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Nice!
Clear bra the front bumper and hood. Money well spent IMO if you’re keepin it for the long haul.
It’s not cheap but not horrible. Prolly $300 for both precut kits.
I love color matched bumpers. I hate rock chips!
I was think about this a bit more today. And I think it would be a good thing to do for the new colly. Do you think the dealership offered 3M product is sufficient or would I be better off looking elsewhere? Ie. Tint or paint shop?

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I was think about this a bit more today. And I think it would be a good thing to do for the new colly. Do you think the dealership offered 3M product is sufficient or would I be better off looking elsewhere? Ie. Tint or paint shop?
I don't have alot of experience with it, but have done a few vehicles over the years. I've used a 3M, Expel and just last week Armor Wrap. Honestly I don't think there's alot of difference in the name brands and the different product lines with each brand if you stick with a quality brand like the ones I mentioned.
I've always used the "cheapest" option with the options for good, better, best. Our old 07 Ram has had the same stuff for over 10 years and 200k miles and hasn't yellowed or anything.

If you're not going to DIY, like anything else, price out how much from multiple shops and the dealer I guess as well. I would expect a shop to charge you somewhere around 3-4 hours labor. For reference it took me 4-5 hours to do the bumper and hood/fender pieces on our Ram last week. But I'm not a pro at it by any stretch and it's something you take your time with...
I looked up your truck and the kit is fairly expensive for the bumper (and the hood).
Because it's so many pieces likely. You're over $500 for bumper and front of hood.

Not sure the "value" if it ends up being close to $1000 though (installed). Especially around here (PNW). I've found that cars and trucks don't get near as many paint chips as compared to when we lived in the desert areas and/or areas that spread sand/cinders in the winter.

Hood and bumper precut for the Ram was like $300.

That stuff is also excellent for other areas that see high wear. And installing on flat or relatively flat surfaces is MUCH easier than bumpers and grilles.
Areas like around the tailgate handle, bottoms of fenders behind the wheels (although you probably have mudflaps), bumper step if it's painted, etc. Can buy the bulk film fairly inexpensively and cut/pattern other areas fairly easily.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thanks for the recommendation @Grit dog I ended up getting a local to me company install that clear bra stuff. They used xpel. Did the front of the hood, front of the front fenders, bumper, grill, side mirrors, headlights, foglights, door sills, and the rear edge of the doors. All for the same $1200 that the dealership was going to charge just to do the front of the hood, front of the fenders and bumper.

I also ordered and installed my n-fab steps. Which look pretty decent. Next month or so I'm going to get this thing buttoned up with the LineX bedliner, and get my 1" level installed.

Attachments

• 20230105_074437.jpg
    20230105_074437.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 42

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size

Nice. My other truck is a 21 AT4 Canyon, the sister to your Colorado. Mines got the baby Duramax. Best truck I've ever owned. Just took a 2300 mile trip to Idaho. Loaded to the gills doing 80 mph the whole way and knocked down a verified 30.8 mpg. They're great midsize trucks.

Attachments

• IMG_20221230_150238264_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221230_150238264_HDR.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 33

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Nice. My other truck is a 21 AT4 Canyon, the sister to your Colorado. Mines got the baby Duramax. Best truck I've ever owned. Just took a 2300 mile trip to Idaho. Loaded to the gills doing 80 mph the whole way and knocked down a verified 30.8 mpg. They're great midsize trucks.
That is a very nice truck you have there. I really wanted the canyon in that AT4 trim. But around here they seem impossible to find. You also got that amazing desert tan color! Those babymax engines are absolutely fantastic. I did a lot of back and forth on the duramax vs the v6 when I was shopping, but with my daily drive of maybe 20 minutes I thought I'd run into issues with the passive DEF regen not completing fully.

So far the v6 has been flawless and continues to impress me. The 8 speed automatic is about the only thing I'm nervous about, which is why I got the newest possible (hoping they have the issues figured out with this being the last model year).

I do think the new 2023+ will continue to be a great pickup with their 2.7 i4 but we'll see how those first model years pan out. I'll admit, I was pretty disappointed that they won't be offering the regular bed with the 4 door on the newer models.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Isn’t the 2.7 the same engine they’ve had in the Silverados for a couple years now?

Those steps look awesome @Dutch Rutter! About my favorite fixed steps/bars.
And sounds like a good deal on the clear bra stuff as well. Just the materials if you bought them would be over $600 I bet.
I’ve found lots of good uses for that stuff. Like door sills like you mentioned.
On the wife’s new car several years ago I basically put it everywhere her old car got beat up from road debris or daily use. Like the top of the painted back bumper. After 5 years of hockey bags getting pulled out of the trunk, the clear bra is all scuffed up. But the paint is still perfect.
When I stuffed too big of battery into the square last month, the battery terminals I used are very close to the core support on the + side. Having done unintentional welding like this in the past, even though the core support is freshly painted, I layered a couple little clear strips double thick where you could hit it with the terminal or a wrench. Problem averted. I tried it hitting a wrench on the core support while on the battery lug. No sparks!

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@Grit dog that's a damn good idea about using that stuff around the battery. They would have done the entire truck for around $7200 o_O. I might have them do the fuel tank on my cb1100 that'll probably be decently cheap tbh.

Yep same 2.7l as the gm 1500s. Apparently, they are going to have 3 different power levels (up to 310hp and 430tq) for the different trim levels on the colorado/canyons. I'm betting those power levels will just be different tunes. I haven't driven anything with one of those engines but several people are thinking it'll be a good platform for the smaller rigs. Kinda sad they'll be dumping the babymax and what I think is a great v6 tho.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey