1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My 1987 GMC Red Bottom Long Bed Thread

Discussion in '2wd Pick-Ups C10 C1500 R10 R1500' started by fried_daddy, Apr 11, 2019.

1. fried_daddy

fried_daddy Junior Member

First Name:
    Matt
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    R1500
    Engine Size:
    As stated in my introduction post, I just got a 1987 GMC R1500 Longbed Fleetside. This is a family truck and i'll be the third generation of the family to own the truck. I took over 1000 mile round trip to go down south to get this truck and bring it up to my place in North Carolina.

I haven't had a chance to take it off the trailer yet but I am too excited about getting it up and going. My end goal is for this to be my daily driver. It will be getting a garage space in my shop once I make sure all of the bugs and critters are no longer using it as a residence.

It currently has the 4.3L V6 with TBI and a TH400 transmission according to the RPO Codes. I want to see if I can get the existing motor running. The last I heard was that it overheated and was parked 7 years ago after that.

I call it the red bottom, of course because of the paint job. Before I got it I did tons of searching trying to figure out what kind of two tone color scheme it was. After not finding anything and checking the RPO codes, I think that it was a custom paint job from many many years ago. I didn't like it at first but it has kind of grown on me because I know it's the only one I've seen with this color pattern. I like the uniqueness.

I will make sure to take tons of pics of everything I do with the truck. I like to take pics to share and to also have for my records.

Here is a listing of the RPO codes I found in the glove compartment.
    A01 A52 BS4 B7P B84 C60 C7U D1X D49 E2K E6C E63 E8A
    F59 GQ1 GU2 JB3 J50 KC4 K22 LB4 MX1 M40 NA5 N41 N67
    SLM STL TFE UN9 UP8 U58 U76 V73 XCG YCG YD3 YD5 YD6
    ZCG ZY1 Z88 12U 621 62W

DSCF2856.JPG

TravisB and Old77 like this.
  2. fried_daddy

First Name:
    Matt
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    R1500
    Engine Size:
    Here are a few pics I snapped. I'm currently looking for a passenger side window.

Screenshot_20190409-060040.png

20190410_171523.jpg

20190407_182643.jpg

20190407_182634.jpg

20190407_181245.jpg

3. fried_daddy

First Name:
    Matt
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    R1500
    Engine Size:
    More pics!

20190407_140824.jpg

20190407_090004.jpg

20190407_090001.jpg

20190407_085914.jpg

20190407_080057.jpg

4. fried_daddy

First Name:
    Matt
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    R1500
    Engine Size:
    Let the parts ordering begin. I just ordered a TBI rebuild kit, two fuel filters and a set of spark plugs. I want to try and get the engine to crank so I can diagnose the overheating issue that the truck was having when it was parked in 2012.

I'm not sure of the best way to empty all the old gas out of the system. If the fuel pump will run, I may try and use that to pump it out. If not, I'll drop the tank and let it evaporate. Updates to come as my parts arrive.

While the truck was sitting on the trailer, it had a blowout so new tires are on the soon to purchase list.

Snoots likes this.
  5. animal

animal Super Moderator Staff Member

First Name:
    Lee
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    c10 silverado
    Engine Size:
    Nice :waytogo:

fried_daddy likes this.
  6. donnieray

donnieray Talks to dogs and trucks. Supporting Member

First Name:
    Donnie
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    86 C10, 84 K10 MM7 NP833 option truck, 85 K10.
    Engine Size:
    350,355;350.
    Good story, nice truck. I'll be keeping up with your progress.

7. fried_daddy

First Name:
    Matt
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    R1500
    Engine Size:
    Thanks. I'll make sure to post tons of content.

8. fried_daddy

First Name:
    Matt
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    R1500
    Engine Size:
    Something told me to go out and spray the truck down with bug spray. I'm glad I did. Found two adult black widows. One in the drivers rear wheel and another hanging off the inside of the back bumper. I would have hated to be removing the bumper or tire and have gotten bit by one. I'll be checking tomorrow night around this same time to see what I find.

20190412_220502.jpg

20190412_220405.jpg

20190412_220226.jpg

Snoots likes this.
  9. Goldie Driver

Goldie Driver Full Access Member

First Name:
    Britt
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    GMC K1500 Suburban
    Engine Size:
    Wow !
    Glad you followed your instincts!

:eek:

fried_daddy likes this.
  10. 1987 GMC Jimmy

1987 GMC Jimmy Full Access Member

First Name:
    Jesse
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    V1500 Jimmy
    Engine Size:
    I didn’t go through your RPO codes, but it only has one fuel tank? A/C but an idiot light cluster. It looks like it has a cruise stalk, but your air cleaner was hiding where the servo goes in the pics. Also, 4.3/TH400. Such a strange combination, and I think that might be unique to 1987 because they had discontinued the TH350. I’m not 100%, but I remember someone having the same setup in the past on here. It’s very interesting. It’s a base trim truck, but it does have options. Someone must have optioned this truck a la cart. There’s also an RPO code for that. @bucket or @Keith Seymore might be able to speak on it better.

Also, if that truck sat for seven years with fuel in the tank, the first thing you’re gonna want to do is drop the tank, get rid of the varnish, and replace your pump/sending unit assembly. Get rid of the crap in the lines, and change the oil because it’ll more than likely smell like that. I think you’ve got the right idea, but any vehicle that I’ve brought back to life that sat for more than a few years had to have the fuel system gone through from end to end.

If you’re gonna daily it, I don’t think I’d really change anything except invest in a gauge cluster. Non tach clusters are a dime a dozen, and there should be a write up on here on how to do that. It would basically involve switching your oil and temp senders to the gauge versions. If you have to repin anything, it wouldn’t be that extensive to do. I’ve never done it so I can’t give you a step by step on what’s involved.

11. bucket

bucket Super Moderator Staff Member

First Name:
    Andy
    Truck Year:
    '77, '78, '79, '84, '88
    Truck Model:
    K5 thru K30
    Engine Size:
    350-454
    I love it when people take something that's been sitting for years and then get it back on the road!

It's an uncommon color combo, but I've seen it before. There used to be another member that posted here often, he had a truck very similar to yours. I also had an '83 K5 that was optioned with A/C but didn't even get the gauges option, that's gotta be uncommon too.

As far as 3rd gen F-bodys go, you can tell by the SPID if the car was a dealer order or a customer order. I don't remember if that applies to all GM products or just that one car line.

12. Keith Seymore

Keith Seymore Full Access Member

First Name:
    Keith Seymore
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    R10
    Engine Size:
    4.3L
    ZY1 is the paint code for solid (one color) paint, so someone added the red paint at the bottom after the fact.

That scheme exists from the factory as RPO ZY3 but your truck was not ordered that way.

Here is the generic info kit from the GM Heritage Center archives in case you would like to interpret the rest of those RPO codes:

https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/do...its/Chevrolet-Trucks/1987-Chevrolet-Truck.pdf

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  13. fried_daddy

First Name:
    Matt
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    R1500
    Engine Size:
    Yes, there's only one tank. What's the best method for cleaning the lines out? My Galaxie 500 sat for almost 10 years when I got it up and going. I ended up replacing the entire fuel system on it. Tank/lines/carb. The old stuff was just too dirty and leaky. I hope I don't have to go to that extreme this time.

As far as gauge clusters is it better to find one at a salvage yard off another square body or can they be ordered at a reasonable price? I saw a donor vehicle earlier today when I was getting my window but I wasn't sure how they would interchange going from idiot lights to real gauges.

I'll have to do some research on decoding the RPO sticker. There were a few items on there I couldn't find a meaning for.

Thanks for sharing that doc. It helped fill in the gaps but there are still a few that I couldn't locate.

14. fried_daddy

First Name:
    Matt
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    R1500
    Engine Size:
    Got a passenger window from u pull it today. I also was able to grab one wheel trim ring, a coolant reservoir and a TBI. All came from a 1987 GMC. I plan to use the salvage TBI to practice on before I start messing with mines

20190413_170248.jpg

Snoots likes this.
  15. 1987 GMC Jimmy

1987 GMC Jimmy Full Access Member

First Name:
    Jesse
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    V1500 Jimmy
    Engine Size:
    Once you drop the tank and see what the damages are and replace the pump/sender assembly, I would say expect to find a pretty good amount of rust and varnish unless it was last filled with ethanol free gas. Radiator shops will rod out tanks, but I think the baffling in the OEM tanks was composite, and if it’s all cracked up and broken, I would get a new tank. Before you’re all set up and hooked up, I’d blow through the lines with some kind of solvent, gas or alcohol, and when clean fluid comes out, you’ll know you’re fine. The lines are what I usually worry about the least, and I’ve never had any glaring issues, and I don’t think you will either. Just everything else. I don’t know how tolerant the TBI injectors are with sitting. I know they can handle a few years, but I’ve never had to see how they held up beyond that. They’re pretty beefy so maybe they held up okay. I just got a ‘90 Olds running that had sat since 2003, and I had to replace all six injectors, but I’m told those injectors weren’t the greatest to begin with.

I’d just get a cluster out of the junkyard. You can match the odometers with a drill and speedometer cable or transplant your current speedo. If any of the gauges don’t work you already have two, people have them on here, or you get them online. Any gasoline cluster from an ‘81-‘89 square will be a match. Later clusters had a trip odometer if you want that, and the very late ones from the early nineties are electric speedo, and you don’t want those for what you’re trying to do. Diesel clusters have a WTS light in them, and I just wouldn’t for someone who might need one later. Fit and finish are the same, you’ll just have to swap some senders and follow the connector repin procedure. Unfortunately, I don’t know what that procedure is because I’ve never had to do it.