Motor ground gets hot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Winchester

Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Morning ya'll. I have a 85 C10 4x4, just put a new long block in. Hooked everything back up and tried to start it. When it turns over the ground strap from the firewall to the right rear of the engine gets hot and smokes. When I unhook the ground strap the starter just clicks. Never had this problem before, obviously something I did but I've traced the wires and can't find a short. Anyone else ever have this problem?

Winchester

Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Yes the ground is clean. I unhooked it, it wasn't hooked up before I did the block swap but it always started. Can't find any frayed or broken wires anywhere. I looked for a couple hours yesterday before I got frustrated and called it a day!

Winchester

Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I didn't think about that ground doing more than it's share of grounding. The battery ground is clean,no corrosion. I'll get back to it as soon as the rain stops, I don't have a shop or garage, doing it like a pine tree pitt crew. Thanks for the advice Ark-N-Saw,I'll let you know what I find!

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Is the battery ground hooked to the frame or is it hooked to the engine ?
I always hook the ground to the engine then, take another grounding wire of the same size and run it to the frame, then, take another wire of the same size and hook it to the body from the frame ground. That way everybody happy. :Caffeine:

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
I'd replace the positive and negative cables.
Is the battery ground hooked to the frame or is it hooked to the engine ?
I always hook the ground to the engine then, take another grounding wire of the same size and run it to the frame, then, take another wire of the same size and hook it to the body from the frame ground. That way everybody happy. :Caffeine:

same here. I'd do that and change the positive going to the starter just in case.

Dmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
My truck did the same thing. Found that was the only ground from the engine block to the body, which also was the route to the frame as it was the only ground. Starter pulls lots of amps and needs a good, large ground.

I added a large battery ground cable from my frame battery ground to my alternator bracket, giving the system a good ground from the engine directly to the battery ground . No more heat or smoke from that small wire at the back of the cylinder head to the firewall.

Last edited:

Winchester

Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thanks for the suggestions, I'm going to recheck all grounds and add a couple. I'll let ya'll know if it cranks up,burns up or blows up!

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
I will send good thoughts your way. No burn down or blow up. Lol
Take it from a man who knows about smoking wires...
I don't mean 'smoking' wires... more like wires a smoking... no not standing there with a joint... oh never mind

Arkansas_V8

Proud Redneck
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
Take it from a man who knows about smoking wires...
I don't mean 'smoking' wires... more like wires a smoking... no not standing there with a joint... oh never mind

That ignition wire fire I had was a pain in my butt. Lol

Termite_Delight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
1976 1975
Truck Model
K2500 K2500
Engine Size
350 L33
My truck it did the same thing. Found that was the only ground from the engine block to the body, which also was the route to the frame as it was the only ground. Starter pulls lots of amps and needs a good, large ground.

I added a large battery ground cable from my frame battery ground to my alternator bracket, giving the system a good ground from the engine directly to the battery ground . No more heat or smoke from that small wire at the back of the cylinder head to the firewall.

^^^ What Dmack said ^^^

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
You must be registered for see images attach
Just because the cable “looks” good, doesn’t mean it is. You can have corrosion inside the insulation where you can’t see it. Look on YouTube on the process of performing a voltage drop test. That’s the best and most accurate way to ensure electrical integrity.

Get it fixed, before you let the magic smoke out of the wires. Once the smoke is out, nothing electrical works.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128