Monster Trans.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CCSS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
1985 & 1986
Truck Model
C10 & K5
Engine Size
4.3 & 5.7
Does anyone have any experience with Monster Transmissons? Good or bad experience. Rebuild kits or complete trans. Good customer service? Good parts? Or crap all the way around?

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1990 w/307k miles on the clock
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
Don't have any info on them. You might also look at www.bowtieoverdrives.com and Raptor. Both are pretty huge online.

When my original 700R4 failed at 235k, I used the info on the Raptor site to shop for the heavy duty parts and then had a local GM trained trans tech build mine. I put all the "big" stuff in mine including the later 4L60E apply pistons, because I tow often.

kleedus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
1960 threw 91
Truck Model
c10 to k30
Engine Size
350 threw 454

CCSS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
1985 & 1986
Truck Model
C10 & K5
Engine Size
4.3 & 5.7
Thanks I will look them up. That's my problem bad 700r4.

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
IMO, a bad 700R4 is a blessing. With all the updated parts available, you can now build a pretty fantastic overdrive automatic. I'd suggest you look at all 3 websites before you make the final decision. I'd also recommend having the strongest version built. It only amounts to a few hundred extra, and over the life of the trans, well worth it.

Look into replacing the drum that the 4th gear brake band runs on, and buy the newest version of that band which is now the full width of the drum. There are other trick parts available too, so do your research and learn about what's being built. Personally, I don't see that Monster has the developed website that bowties and raptor have. If I were a customer, that would concern me.

What ever you do, follow up with a new TV cable, and install it using a pressure gauge, as instructions detail on the bowtie website. Any other method is not correct, and it's the death of a 700R4. Also, look at the cast aluminum finned B&M transmission pan that holds 3.5 extra quarts and is bunged for a mechanical trans temp gauge. Lastly, look at the big Tru-Cool or B&M Super Cooler (same cooler, made by LONG, but boxed for either company) and fit the big 11x11x1.5" thick cooler up in front of the a/c condensor. Mount the cooler with the lines coming in from the side, or the top, not from the bottom.

CCSS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
1985 & 1986
Truck Model
C10 & K5
Engine Size
4.3 & 5.7
Thanks for the advice and I am in no rush so I have plenty of time to research.

85 CA SIERRA 1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
TRACEY
Truck Year
Truck Model
SIERRA CLASSIC
Engine Size
IMO, a bad 700R4 is a blessing. With all the updated parts available, you can now build a pretty fantastic overdrive automatic. I'd suggest you look at all 3 websites before you make the final decision. I'd also recommend having the strongest version built. It only amounts to a few hundred extra, and over the life of the trans, well worth it.

Look into replacing the drum that the 4th gear brake band runs on, and buy the newest version of that band which is now the full width of the drum. There are other trick parts available too, so do your research and learn about what's being built. Personally, I don't see that Monster has the developed website that bowties and raptor have. If I were a customer, that would concern me.

What ever you do, follow up with a new TV cable, and install it using a pressure gauge, as instructions detail on the bowtie website. Any other method is not correct, and it's the death of a 700R4. Also, look at the cast aluminum finned B&M transmission pan that holds 3.5 extra quarts and is bunged for a mechanical trans temp gauge. Lastly, look at the big Tru-Cool or B&M Super Cooler (same cooler, made by LONG, but boxed for either company) and fit the big 11x11x1.5" thick cooler up in front of the a/c condensor. Mount the cooler with the lines coming in from the side, or the top, not from the bottom.

Dumb Question here so please be gentle,,,,,,I have seen quite a few OEM auxiliary coolers mounted so that they feed and drain from the bottom,,,,,why is this a bad idea???
Respectfully,
One of the new guys here

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Monster Transmission is nothing more than a warehouse. I have built 4 “Monster in a Box” and they are nothing but repackaged parts. Save you money, buy what you need, not what they have in stock or what they think you need.

In my opinion, a quality performance 700 needs a wide band, upgraded servo, Sonnax drive shell, upgraded 3-4 clutch (either the Raybestos Z Pak, or the 7 clutch factory setup for light duty) and valve body upgrades. Chances are your also going to need accumulator pistons, spacer plate, and other wear items.

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
Dumb Question here so please be gentle,,,,,,I have seen quite a few OEM auxiliary coolers mounted so that they feed and drain from the bottom,,,,,why is this a bad idea???
Respectfully,
One of the new guys here

It's not a dumb question. It's just a question.

If you install the Long brand (badged as Tru-Cool or B&M) stacked plate style cooler, with the fittings pointing downward, it will not get filled with transmission fluid because the first couple of rows, nearest to the 2 fittings, are it's "cold bypass" rows. So the trans fluid will just flow through these couple of rows, and never make it up into the rest of the cooler. So turn the cooler sideways and fill it from the bottom fitting, or turn it with the fittings facing up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
texdave