Monster in a box transmission rebuild kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
I'm looking at rebuild kits for my th350 and came across this one on sale for $449. Seems to have everything you need. Has anyone used this or heard anything about it?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Think it's rated for 400hp

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
I have built a few monster in a box transmissions, they are nothing more than a very complete overhaul kit with a fancy name.

Unless your engine makes more than 600ish hp, a good quality rebuild kit and a few cheap easy to do modifications is all that’s needed. Machine the direct clutch piston to accept a extra friction and steel (factory had 4 clutches, after machining you can fit 5). Install a wide bushing in the direct drum. Either install a shift kit, or internally “dual feed” the direct clutch. If your going to really beat on it, using a low/reverse one way roller clutch from a 4L60 is a good upgrade. The 4L60 roller clutch is a little bigger and a direct drop in swap. Careful assembly, new bushing and thrust washers, and your good to go for much less than 500.

If your making more than 600hp or have huge tires, the intermediate roller clutch is the biggest weak link. There are drum available in the aftermarket that have much bigger sprag assemblies. They are kinda expensive, but cheaper than fixing the damage when the clutch explodes.

And not to be a smart ass, my “technical assistance” on this forum is much better than what you will get from monster!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL