Modern steering column swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheFishBox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
v30
Engine Size
6.0 ls
Has anyone attempted to swap a modern steering column into a square? I was thinking about finding a 2007 ish column/wheel setup so I could have tilt/telescope, column shift and if I can figure it out using the wiper controls also.

The big question is if the shaft can be made to work with the squarebody steering box. I should be able to move the mounts if needed.

Last edited:

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Would be easier to get a squarebody column with those functions. But mating the shaft is not a big deal with some work. I have a spare 07 column, and most everything is different enough that it would take some work.
You must be registered for see images attach

TheFishBox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
v30
Engine Size
6.0 ls
Could you elaborate more on what is different? Just trying to see what this can of worms could turn into.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
you need a column with a lot of discrete switches or there will be moduels and custom inputs..

also your seat has a lever to move forward and back for the telescoping lol.

Brake your current one just right it will do both

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Mounting to dash, pass through firewall, shaft, wiring

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Would be easier to get a squarebody column with those functions. But mating the shaft is not a big deal with some work. I have a spare 07 column, and most everything is different enough that it would take some work.
You must be registered for see images attach
ALSO MOST OF Those new columns have Rack steering so you would have a problem gettigt the OE angle and enough shaft length. Also usually use an intermediate shaft with a rubber boot, and a lot of the GM ones use magnesium backing supports on the dashes and aluminum mounting all over.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Newer columns don't use a bearing at the firewall. They have more support inside the dash. Around 07 trucks still used gear boxes for steering.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Newer columns don't use a bearing at the firewall. They have more support inside the dash. Around 07 trucks still used gear boxes for steering.
I mean If you want to wire it up and have the weird large plastic that doesnt fit in anywhere lol and many features you cant use.Correct on the bearing, they have usually an entire structural aluminum housings and then brackets and IPs to mount to. YOu would need to fab a lot to have that structure.

TheFishBox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
v30
Engine Size
6.0 ls
Where can a guy find an older column with the wipers on the column and a tilt? Short of scouring the wrecking yards.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
88-91 suburbans make for good parts vehicles. But I believe after 84 or so wipers were on the column

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
88-91 suburbans make for good parts vehicles. But I believe after 84 or so wipers were on the column
I think my mom's '83 K-5 had wipers and CC on a tilt column... We sold it about 1997 so my memory may be a little skewed

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I think my mom's '83 K-5 had wipers and CC on a tilt column... We sold it about 1997 so my memory may be a little skewed
The wiper switch and the colums etc etc could be cheated to get if you find a suitable gm vehicle and want to do some work. You can take the column from my 1990 olds 88 and get it off, and with work you got yourself a square column with tilt, 3 horn buttons(1 since I made the 2 extra not work on purpose) red everything, cruise, high beam, wipers, and 4 speed auto detent shifter (4l60 with levers and not linkages, 440-t4, 4t60E, 4t65e, 4t80e etc that work with the cable system to) and you most notable need the column which has a way to mount a switch with those functions which I believe requires a in column switch at the base to support the stalk. so a 70s gm car may have the column to support what is desired but electrical and components would be a lot of homework on your part.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Where can a guy find an older column with the wipers on the column and a tilt? Short of scouring the wrecking yards.
you would be easier finding a tilt column almost no matter what in good shape and then making it work with changes or finding one yes. my 78k10 had tilt and cruise stallk but dash wipers
There werent many column wiper setups until the late 70s and then even I think cadillac and a couple odd ball buick and oldsmobile models maybe had some on the highest of trims at the most rare of to finds. once they started using the gm standardized stalks they quickly shifted as a company which that shift is as you notice the late 70s early 80s. 83,84 for squares pretty sure but gmc and chevy,k5 to k30, manual steering be damned, vans were also something to consider becausee i believe they have more on the column early to help with driver accessibility but who knows. go find a guy who loves conversion vans and is inclined they know everything because they had to work for it :)

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
New model truck columns also do not have the reverse and neutral safety switches built into them so you would have to account for those as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL