Mode door operating backwards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohnMark

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
85 c10.

My hvac mode door seems to be operating backwards. For ac modes and vent, the mode door flows the air for the floor/defrost side. For off/heat/defrost, it goes directs air to the dash vents.

It seems if it was a lack of vac, the door wouldn’t operate at all. What do I need to check on this?

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Check the physical actuator. On passenger side below glovebox remove the piece that turns up and door is behind. Often I find screws from below put in to hold the door in place when actuator breaks.

JohnMark

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Check the physical actuator. On passenger side below glovebox remove the piece that turns up and door is behind. Often I find screws from below put in to hold the door in place when actuator breaks.
The door moves though, meaning the actuator works, right?

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
It can partially move with broken actuator piece and maybe someone put a limit on it. Or vacuum lines were hooked up incorrectly. One of the easier things to check.

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
:welcome:

JohnMark

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
It can partially move with broken actuator piece and maybe someone put a limit on it. Or vacuum lines were hooked up incorrectly. One of the easier things to check.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Actuator is working correctly. It should move to about middle position for normal air and goes back for defrost.
There is another door right beside it that has adjustment to location it is in. I would need to look at a working one to see where it supposed to be pointing to as it has been couple years sense I had one fully apart.
Check on the sticky for some references as well. There was a diagram posted with all the vacuum connections that could help verify that part
https://www.gmsquarebody.com/threads/inner-cab-heater-ac-housing-reference-pics.4809/

JohnMark

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Wouldn’t the big door be open for heat/defrost? The defrost/floor vents are behind that door and are blocked off when the door is closed.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Heat/cool is controlled by a separate door by the lever. That one is not vacuum, but cable pull.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Normal should direct mostly to top vents, bi level I believe splits more even between top and bottom, and max directs to the top only. Heat goes to floor and defrost to windshield.

JohnMark

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Heat goes to floor and defrost to windshield.

Exactly and from the video, you can see that heat and defrost are pushed to the front vents. This is my problem. The hot/cold wire control works fine.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
My description of close is backwards from yours. Door all the way back should send to defrost. Might need to check vacuum connection on the back of controller.
You must be registered for see images attach

On next picture is the firewall side, it shows that when that door is all the way back the flow goes to the long portion of the box where there is a door for defrost and down. The door seen is not the one discussed, that one is heat. When heat is on, defrost door should stay closed.

Last edited:

JohnMark

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thanks for the info. I have tried pulling the hvac control unit out to check the vacuum distributor part but it is so tight I can’t pull it out from the dash enough to check it. I must be missing something.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I have another spare ac box in the parts pile and can probably take better pictures. But would be 2-3 days from now before I get to it. Taking the radio out helps with the HVAC control panel. Can push it back and lower to radio spot. Then work on it from the original opening.

Last time I had one apart, I remember there was one door/tunel that can be put in wrong. If your heater core was replaced at some point of time, I wonder if it was put back together with things not in the correct position

ChainBlue

Reaction score
First Name
Chain
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Did you get this figured out? I am having the same issue. I think maybe I have vacuum lines on wrong. I wanted to ask before I took the heater box loose to check them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey