Modding an OEM radio to have bluetooth.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrPink

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Has anyone modded one to have a Bluetooth module attached to it? In whatever I end up with I want to keep the OE aesthetic, but have modern features. I do understand that i could go out and spend $300 on a Retrosound unit w/Bluetooth. But I'd much rather keep my budget lower by DIY'ing some projects including any electrical work on it. I am no stranger to doing 12v harnesses or the likes. Also does anyone know what OHM the OE speakers are? I have been getting mixed info from the internet.

MrPink

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1990 w/307k miles on the clock
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
I have an OE CD player with graphic EQ in mine, with AUX.

Last edited:

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
You can also get Bluetooth "adapters" from Amazon etc that plug in to your cigarette lighter and sync with an unused FM channel. I've got a couple of these over the years, cost about $15. Cheap stuff so they don't last forever but for the price I'm happy if I get a year out of one. They typically have a mic so you can use your phone too, the sound quality isn't 5 star but again it's $15.

MrPink

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
You can also get Bluetooth "adapters" from Amazon etc that plug in to your cigarette lighter and sync with an unused FM channel. I've got a couple of these over the years, cost about $15. Cheap stuff so they don't last forever but for the price I'm happy if I get a year out of one. They typically have a mic so you can use your phone too, the sound quality isn't 5 star but again it's $15.
i understand that, however i am not looking to do that. i will be piggy backing a unit to the OE radio.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg