Mobile 1 Annual oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Who believes that you get 20,000 miles protection from a once a year oil change? That seems a bit excessive to me. They say guaranteed but, how can they guarantee this? I guarantee if something happened they don't guarantee ****. Maybe give you your money back for the oil. What do you think?

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I think in a modern engine with close tolerances and 21st century metallurgy operated in optimum temperature, dust and load conditions...okay. I’d still check the level often quite often. Even if your engine doesn’t burn oil, the viscosity breaks down.

When I drain the oil in my 450 supermoto bike every other ride, the oil comes out clean, but almost as runny as water. The viscosity is gone after 6-8 hours of flogging on it.

I believe Caddy used to have an engine that was sealed. I think it was supposed to be good for 100k. Not sure. Mercedes is doing something similar in certain engines now, I think...

shanegtr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
I wouldn't apply 20,000miles to all engines simply by using this oil. A dirty old school indirect injection diesel will soot up the oil long before there's anything wrong with the oil. My daily driver my engine oil is currently pushed out to double the manufacturers recommendation and if it wasn't for some fuel dilution the oil could go longer. You don't need a marketed "annual" oil to extend the change interval, most good quality synthetics are already capable of it in modern engines.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
The original Mobil 1 synthetic, which has been around for years, is rated for 15,000 miles so it's not too difficult to imagine that with continued product development that another 5k is possible.

The testing for Mobil Annual was done on modern (2015-2016) 4 cylinder turbo engines. They were torn down after 120K miles with 5 oil changes performed at 20k intervals and all high-wear parts checked within specs of new. But as @Frankenchevy mentioned, these little 4-bangers are different animals than our older tech engines.

I switched to synthetic in my square for a while but it seemed to leak more than usual so I went back to conventional. The heaviest weight Annual oil you can get is 5w-30. I think if I put something that thin in the 'burb it would all leak out before I had a chance to drive it!

The biggest issue for me though with 20k mile oil is this, even if I had a newer vehicle with modern engine internals and no leaks, what oil FILTER is rated to go that long? The filters in my dd Hondas are ridiculously small. There's not much media filter in them so the odds of them catching and holding a year's worth of dirt is slim to none.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Like others said on a new modern engine- quite possibly. On a old style small block I really doubt it.
One way to get answers though it try 7,500 miles? 10,000 miles? Then send your oil off to something like blackstone labs https://www.blackstone-labs.com/ and have the oil analyzed. They will give you some insight to what is going on. They then (at least used to) then tell you what extended oil change interval they would try next.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I once ran a 2.8 V6 (later style, alum heads and FI) over 10k on the same oil and filter, didn't seem to hurt it one bit. I continued to run that engine for years and put a lot of miles on it with no oil consumption issues or funny noises.

I can see where a modern engine could handle 20k with better oil.

DirtyDYT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
‘79
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I do 10k intervals with 5w20 synthetic on my ‘07 Honda 3.0 as recommended. Despite my rev happy spirited driving style, it doesn’t burn a drop at 160k and counting.

Anything more just feels like a gamble. If $30 in preventative maintenance a couple times annually can save you a $3000 oops... well, I’ve spent a lot more money on a lot stupider things.

Paladin

"Teufelshunde"
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Silverado Crew Cab Dually
Engine Size
I personally think it's a load of crap! Heaven knows that a company would not use a false claim in their marketing and advertisements to sell their product! And guarantees aren't worth the ink it takes to print them. I will continue using the same oil and continue changing it at the same intervals as I have over the past 5 decades, regardless of what magic snake oil is developed! JM2pennies.:cheers:

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
The biggest issue for me though with 20k mile oil is this, even if I had a newer vehicle with modern engine internals and no leaks, what oil FILTER is rated to go that long? The filters in my dd Hondas are ridiculously small. There's not much media filter in them so the odds of them catching and holding a year's worth of dirt is slim to none.

I had done a lot of reading on oil filters and ended up switching from AC Delco oil filters to Mobile 1 oil filters. I liked the fact it has a strong synthetic filter media inside that is very uniform and will filter out very small particles and not rip out like the paper ones can on a cold startup.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
I don't doubt that Mobil 1 oil filters are of decent quality in terms of micron filtration, but there's still the matter of physical size for imports and how much contaminates that tiny bit of media can trap. I'm sure if they had a 20k mile oil filter available their marketing guys would be all over it and we would of heard about it.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
The Napa platinum is an American made Wix specifically for synthetic oils and longer intervals. My 7.3 excursion’s oil filter is the size of a yuban coffee can and takes 14qts. More than my 6.7s 13qts. I let the 7.3 go 10k. The new truck tows nearly every day, so it gets changed at 6k.

Vehicles vary so much in capacity, usage and conditions. There’s no way an oil manufacturer can tell you what interval is safe. iirc, the annual protection oils have disclaimers about all of these factors right on the jug.

Zoomalot

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado Shorty
Engine Size
350 Ram Jet
Oil is the cheapest insurance you can buy for powertrain components.
Obviously there are people who don't spend much time at a quality part store!
As of yesterday 94 octane fuel on Van. Island was $7.58 Can. Gal.
$50.00 for a oil change is a bargain for the times.How much is that per mile.
Change it at 5K

AzGeo

Reaction score
Oil "breakdown" is rarely the reason for oil failures , it's usually just "full of carbon deposits" and they don't lubricate , or cool anything . I change motor oil and filters at 3000 miles, no matter what the latest "miracle" breakthrough says on TV . I do add 6 ounces of Lucas synthetic oil additive at every oil change to Mobil I 10/30, it helps in the HOT Arizona summers . If you can't take good care of a running machine, why should it continue running for you ?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T3rraBeara