Mirrors just wont stay!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kevink82

Reaction score
First Name
kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Hey Guys, I've looked thru old threads trying to find the solution. These "Dumbo" style mirrors seem to get even looser as time goes on. I replaced my white Scottsdale mirrors with Chinese made junk in chrome. The install and look is fine but the slam of a door or the wind at highway speeds pushes them in. What have you guys done as a solution to this problem, I cant imagine it's just me. I was thinking of adjusting them where I want them and then siliconing them in place with something like clear Phenoseal wish is also an adhesive. 1987 V20 bought as second owner with only 50K mi last year after underselling my 1987 Silverado RWD 3spd granny

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Yup mine are same. Lol

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
If you remove the lower cover, there is a bolt to tighten so that the mirror post won't move as easily.

Trying to silicone the mirror in place WILL NOT work.

Ron Sebastian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe V10
Engine Size
Find the sweet spot, drill and screw it down.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I had the same issue. The problem is the clamp mechanism under the cover sucks at keeping the metal post from turning. It's metal on metal. You can crank the bolt down but it won't last long.

I found two solutions:

1) remove the mirror, scuff the post with scotchbrite and spray the post with a can of aerosol bedliner. Once dry, reassemble, and snug the adjusting bolt slightly. The textured finish will allow the cheesy OEM clamp to do its job.

2) Same as above except slip some 1 inch heatshrink tubing over the post and set using a hot air gun.

I've done them both with good success.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I had the same issue. The problem is the clamp mechanism under the cover sucks at keeping the metal post from turning. It's metal on metal. You can crank the bolt down but it won't last long.

I found two solutions:

1) remove the mirror, scuff the post with scotchbrite and spray the post with a can of aerosol bedliner. Once dry, reassemble, and snug the adjusting bolt slightly. The textured finish will allow the cheesy OEM clamp to do its job.

2) Same as above except slip some 1 inch heatshrink tubing over the post and set using a hot air gun.

I've done them both with good success.

Sure they weren't aftermarket mirrors? I've had problems with a couple aftermarket replacements, but never with GM mirrors.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
On my K20 there is a plastic sleeve, not metal on metal. I soaked in beer, let it dry and did it again. Now it sticks and doesn't move. Once again, saved by beer.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
If you remove the lower cover, there is a bolt to tighten so that the mirror post won't move as easily.

Trying to silicone the mirror in place WILL NOT work.
This. I bought a cheap set for my Dodge truck about 10 years ago. I fought them folding in everytime I went over 50. Finally I thought I'd do something to lodge them in place and discovered the bolt. They have been great since.

My square has GM dumbos and they stay put, but will fold if you catch them in a tight spot.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84