Mini starter engagement depth

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Checking starter engagement on flex plate. It’s an oem type mini starter. Read on the inter webs you want about 60% engagement depth. I get full depth. The videos I’ve seen show adding shims behind the clocking ring of a clockable starter. Should I worry?

You must be registered for see images attach

When my wife gets home, I was going to check my static timing with the fuel pump relay pulled and that includes cranking with the starter. It’ll be the first time cranking.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
With the drive gear retracted, you want around 1/8th inch clearance between the shaft and the flexplate. If it's too tight, just use starter shims to get it where it needs to be.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
With the drive gear retracted, you want around 1/8th inch clearance between the shaft and the flexplate. If it's too tight, just use starter shims to get it where it needs to be.
Fully retracted is around 1/8”...maybe 5/32”

It goes flush with the adjacent cutout part of the nose:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I mean 1/8" clearance at the tip of the flexplate teeth. The amount that the drive gear slides out really doesn't matter at all, so long as it engages a sufficient amount of the teeth, and it retracts far enough that it doesn't drag when the engine is running on it's own.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I mean 1/8" clearance at the tip of the flexplate teeth. The amount that the drive gear slides out really doesn't matter at all, so long as it engages a sufficient amount of the teeth, and it retracts far enough that it doesn't drag when the engine is running on it's own.

I think I get what you’re saying. I keep finding videos of random mini starter/sbc combinations. I’m hoping since my starter is specifically for a 97ish l31-r equipped truck I’m hoping I’ll be pretty good to go.

It’s definitely good on the paper clip test.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The last few of those starters that I've installed on older blocks didn't need any shims either.