Mechanical or Electric Fuel Pump.... Thoughts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moose Drool

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
I have been toying with the idea of upgrading my carb fuel system with an adjustable fuel pressure regulator with a return line back to the fuel tank. Should I keep the mechanical fuel pump, or go with an electric?

Anyone do the same type of system? Thoughts?

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Have both, electric is nicer if vehicle sits often. But then cranking engine to get fuel also pumps oil when starting after sitting for a while. Really should add ignition/oil pressure driven electric fuel pump circuit if daily driver

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Either pump works fine for a carburetor and will provide plenty of fuel. If you want add a pressure regulator, using a mechanical pump means you have to figure out where you want to put the hardware.

GM originally had hard fuel line from the pump running up behind the alternator and directly to the carburetor, so it all tucked right under the air cleaner. Fitting in a good filter and regulator takes more space. With an electric pump you could mount it all off to one side or down low, and just run the fuel line over to the carburetor.

Bruce

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Have both, electric is nicer if vehicle sits often. But then cranking engine to get fuel also pumps oil when starting after sitting for a while. Really should add ignition/oil pressure driven electric fuel pump circuit if daily driver

I guess you wouldn't want fuel injection then huh?

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
I run a fuel pressure regulator w/o return line next to the carb with mechanical fuel pump with a return line. Works great and everything sits under the air cleaner.

Curt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-30
Engine Size
Or just get a mechanical pump that does high volume,low pressure.Check it at installation for proper pressure and drive on

nujac

Reaction score
First Name
bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
I installed both and here is why. If your truck is not a daily driver the new ETHANOL GAS will not be in the fuel bowl when your try to start it. I run the electric fuel pump to fill the bowl for about 30 seconds before I start cranking the engine. Now that they have the NON-ETHANOL GAS right by my house I no longer run the electric fuel pump at all unless the truck has sat for a couple of weeks. I added the electric fuel pump about 10 years ago. No regulator used being the pump was designed for a carb and not fuel injection. If you use your truck off road I seen where a regulator that you can turn down for trail use is helpful to prevent flooding.

Moose Drool

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
I installed both and here is why. If your truck is not a daily driver the new ETHANOL GAS will not be in the fuel bowl when your try to start it. I run the electric fuel pump to fill the bowl for about 30 seconds before I start cranking the engine. Now that they have the NON-ETHANOL GAS right by my house I no longer run the electric fuel pump at all unless the truck has sat for a couple of weeks. I added the electric fuel pump about 10 years ago. No regulator used being the pump was designed for a carb and not fuel injection. If you use your truck off road I seen where a regulator that you can turn down for trail use is helpful to prevent flooding.

That is exactly what I am experiencing.... no fuel in the bowl. It takes pressing the pedal to the floor to get it going.

BillK

Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
Unless you have a crazy engine there really is no need for an electric pump or a regulator. Just one more thing to go wrong.

When I had my 85 K-5 Blazer I pulled the 305 out and built a pretty nice 355 for it. I used the same pump and Q-jet that were on the 305 and never had a single issue with fuel.

BillK

Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
It takes pressing the pedal to the floor to get it going.

If you are having to hold it to the floor to get it to start that sounds more like it is flooding. Too much fuel.

If it really is no fuel in the bowl try cranking it for about ten seconds, then pump the gas twice and try again. It should start up. My 84 S-10 is carbureted and it will sometimes sit for a week but it still starts right up if I use that procedure. Same with my Wife's 84 Riviera

59840Surfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
350 Stroker to 383 with a 400 crank, Crane Cam, Q-Jet, single 3.5" exhaust..
Make sure the choke works correctly - a lost art - and I use electric chokes with a vacuum choke break on my Q-Jet.

I put my electric pump back at the tank to push the fuel - which is the best way to move gas without running the vapor pressure so low that it can vapor lock on a hot day or sitting in traffic.

I've had that running for over 20 years that way.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@Moose Drool,

So what is it where you have to pump the pedal to get what going? Are you talking about a situation where the engine is not running? It died and you're trying to restart? So how does the bowl get empty if the, what, the electric pump is not going....? Explain all that again. I don't 4 wheel so I'm sure there's stuff I don't know about but it's interesting, what is it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chuchito